Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

To change tires from 555R to 555 Extreme or not??

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To change tires from 555R to 555 Extreme or not??

Just wanting some opinions...I currently have the 315 Nitto 555R's on my WS6 and the 275 555RII's on the front and am thinking about switching to the same size but in the 555 extreme. I think I like the look of the tread a lil better and they are slightly wider. My car doesnt see the track and it hardly ever sees outside. I've had my tires for about 1 1/2 years and they may have at most 40-50 miles on them. Do you guys think it is worth a switch or would the 1/2" difference in width not be sufficient enough to tell or would having more tread make them "appear" wider??
Also, would the Extremes have pretty good traction or are the drags and RII's going to be significantly better for cornering, etc?? Thanks!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Regular

After having just the regular 555 extreme's I would not recommend swapping to them from the 555R's. There is a major difference in the traction levels.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6WRX
After having just the regular 555 extreme's I would not recommend swapping to them from the 555R's. There is a major difference in the traction levels.
Yeah thats kinda what I was figuring.....was there much difference in width that you could visually tell or did you have 315's?? I was thinking the Extremes might be a tad easier on the rear?
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Regular

I had 285's and there wasn't much of a difference in width. The non R's will definitely be easier on the rear, they will just spin.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UGOTWS6D
Just wanting some opinions...I currently have the 315 Nitto 555R's on my WS6 and the 275 555RII's on the front and am thinking about switching to the same size but in the 555 extreme. I think I like the look of the tread a lil better and they are slightly wider. My car doesnt see the track and it hardly ever sees outside. I've had my tires for about 1 1/2 years and they may have at most 40-50 miles on them. Do you guys think it is worth a switch or would the 1/2" difference in width not be sufficient enough to tell or would having more tread make them "appear" wider??
Also, would the Extremes have pretty good traction or are the drags and RII's going to be significantly better for cornering, etc?? Thanks!
The NT555R Drag Radial was not designed for cornering. They have a semi bias radial construction with a soft sidewall for better traction off the line. The NT555RII has a stiff sidewall for enhanced cornering and of course uses an R compound for maximum dry traction. You may want to consider the new NT05. This model has superb straight line steering stability and an extremely wide contact patch with a stiff sidewall for better cornering. This is a max summer performance tire so it will be softer than the 555 Extreme Performance but a little harder than a R compound like the 555RII and 555R D/R.