Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to LS Engines, have some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS Engines, have some ?'s

Im in the process of designing/buildning a tube chassis ranger w/ its sole purpose to be offroading. I have decided to use a LS1 as the powerplant in this project and have a few ?'s about these motors. Now I am by no means new to building motors, I just dont have a lot of knowledge on the LS line, so any suggestions would be greatly apprecated!

Which yr is the best platform to build off of?

Im looking for around 475hp at the crank and possibly using 100 shot of spray on top of that. What heads, cam, intake, injectors, headers, etc would I need to look at to reach this goal. Also would the stock rotating assembly stand up to this kind of power.

When I find the motor Im going to use, what all do i need from the donor, i.e computer, harness, throttle control, O2 sensors.

Can these motors be converted to mechnical throttle of is even worth it?

Recommendations on who to tune the computer.

What does it take to adapt to a th400?

and any other info that could help this project out.

Thanks and Gig Em'
Ryan C.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RCcola55
Im in the process of designing/buildning a tube chassis ranger w/ its sole purpose to be offroading. I have decided to use a LS1 as the powerplant in this project and have a few ?'s about these motors. Now I am by no means new to building motors, I just dont have a lot of knowledge on the LS line, so any suggestions would be greatly apprecated!

Im looking for around 475hp at the crank and possibly using 100 shot of spray on top of that. What heads, cam, intake, injectors, headers, etc would I need to look at to reach this goal. Also would the stock rotating assembly stand up to this kind of power.

When I find the motor Im going to use, what all do i need from the donor, i.e computer, harness, throttle control, O2 sensors.

Thanks and Gig Em'
Ryan C.
475 bhp can be easily acheivable. If your looking for an LS1 block id start with a 01' or 02' block.the texas speed H/C combo stick a MS4 cam w/ 5.3 2.5 heads. depending on your finances kooks LT's, some 42# injectors, Fast 90/90... depending on how often and hard you drive it, the stock bottom end should last pretty long. just my 2 cents.... good luck!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

Thanks and Gig Em'
Ryan C.
6.0 motor
l92 heads
l76 intake (a must w/ the l92 heads)
cam of your choice (car craft did a build a while back. do a search on there site)
good set or rod bolts
stock crank
stock rods

mail order tune should be fine. as long as your not running it on the ragged edge. (unless you have a few local tuners to choose from.

turbo 400----- all you need is a 400 to ls1 converter. or just use a sbc converter and order the crank/pilot hub adapter for 50.00

alot of the motors are drive by cable. all f-bodies. all trucks up until 03????

corvettes were all drive by wire (no cable)

i would use an f-body harness. pretty much a stand alone in itself. (can be found in the for sale section)

and if you buy a motor. most of the sensors will still be on it.. or should
Old 03-09-2009, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red83
6.0 motor
l92 heads
l76 intake (a must w/ the l92 heads)
cam of your choice (car craft did a build a while back. do a search on there site)
good set or rod bolts
stock crank
stock rods

mail order tune should be fine. as long as your not running it on the ragged edge. (unless you have a few local tuners to choose from.

turbo 400----- all you need is a 400 to ls1 converter. or just use a sbc converter and order the crank/pilot hub adapter for 50.00

alot of the motors are drive by cable. all f-bodies. all trucks up until 03????

corvettes were all drive by wire (no cable)

i would use an f-body harness. pretty much a stand alone in itself. (can be found in the for sale section)

and if you buy a motor. most of the sensors will still be on it.. or should
lol i think this set up would put him closer to 475 rear wheel
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS1's rotating assembly is supposedly good up to 650lb-ft, give or take. Although, if you wanted a strong lower end, I'd put a stroker kit in, along with forged pistons. As far as MAKING the horsepower, pick your poison. Get some decent AFR heads, *mild* cam (I don't know much a bout cams yet, but I'm learning), and full exhaust. That should put you close to your goal at the crank. But keep the CR low if you plan on using nitrous (rice-power).
Old 03-09-2009, 08:39 PM

Im really wanting to stay with the 5.7 block. My main goal in the engine is to build a reliable, cost effective motor, so using a stock bottom end is a key point to this. Since it will spend its life in a offroad rig, i would like to keep the power band between 1800-5500rpms, but not saying it wont see more then that, but with dual transfer cases and a 6.72 axle ratio, that window is optimal. I have read a bit on cam choices and would like to closely match the cam to the heads and intake I decide on in order to keep the engine reliable and get as much for my money as I can.

I have heard these motors can produce up to 600hp without too many internal mods. So a goal for reliablity of 475ish hp with occasion n2o should be with in that. I have seen package deals from trick flow and a few others that claim that kinda of power for a decent price, but if there is a more effective route for less then thats what I am looking for.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Im really wanting to stay with the 5.7 block. My main goal in the engine is to build a reliable, cost effective motor, so using a stock bottom end is a key point to this. Since it will spend its life in a offroad rig, i would like to keep the power band between 1800-5500rpms, but not saying it wont see more then that, but with dual transfer cases and a 6.72 axle ratio, that window is optimal. I have read a bit on cam choices and would like to closely match the cam to the heads and intake I decide on in order to keep the engine reliable and get as much for my money as I can.

I have heard these motors can produce up to 600hp without too many internal mods. So a goal for reliablity of 475ish hp with occasion n2o should be with in that. I have seen package deals from trick flow and a few others that claim that kinda of power for a decent price, but if there is a more effective route for less then thats what I am looking for.
i'd go with the LQ4 or LQ9 over the 5.7 just cause price alone you cand find them alot cheaper