Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

HELP! body parts removal!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! body parts removal!

im taking off my fender and front bumper cover early tomorrow morning and its going to the body shop at 3 pm. I got hit about a month ago. I need to remove the passanger side fender and the front bumper cover. I'm starting around 7 am, so ANY tips would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Someone asked me a while back about fender removal. Here is what I sent him, pulled from memory from when I replaced my fender:

This is all from memory, so I might miss something! I did it way back this past summer...

Open the hood, along the inside edge of the fender near the top there should be a bunch of bolts all the way up. Those need to come out. They play a really small part in fender alignment but keep them in mind.

In the front of the car, at least on my Camaro I had to remove my headlight an brackets to get down near the fog light. not sure how it is exactly on the bird as I've not seen one, but down there at the seam of the fender and the bumper cover is a metal bracket that on my Camaro had 3 nuts on it. Those have to come out. Really fun to get to, let me tell you! Only part of alignment these have is the wheelwell lines between the fender and bumper cover.

You'll want to jack up the front of the car and pull the wheel. you'll need to undo any fasteners holding the inner fender liner to the fender itself. Also, there is the tab underneath the car behind the wheel with two bolts. Those come out too. They play a slight part in fender alignment.

take out the small bolts holding the fender liner in place. Look back towards the door on the inside of the fender and there is a bolt there that needs removed. Keep this bolt in mind because you'll be using it to adjust the new fender. You'll notice when you remove it that the hole in the tab on the fender is quite large to allow room for adjustment.

Open the door all the way. Look straight into the hinge area of the door, near the very top. Basically behind where the mirror would be when the door is closed. There is a bolt there. It plays a part in the alignment of the fender in the top area.

I think that is all the bolts. That is all from memory so I might have missed something but if I did it would be pretty obvious when you work on it.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
Someone asked me a while back about fender removal. Here is what I sent him, pulled from memory from when I replaced my fender:

This is all from memory, so I might miss something! I did it way back this past summer...

Open the hood, along the inside edge of the fender near the top there should be a bunch of bolts all the way up. Those need to come out. They play a really small part in fender alignment but keep them in mind.

In the front of the car, at least on my Camaro I had to remove my headlight an brackets to get down near the fog light. not sure how it is exactly on the bird as I've not seen one, but down there at the seam of the fender and the bumper cover is a metal bracket that on my Camaro had 3 nuts on it. Those have to come out. Really fun to get to, let me tell you! Only part of alignment these have is the wheelwell lines between the fender and bumper cover.

You'll want to jack up the front of the car and pull the wheel. you'll need to undo any fasteners holding the inner fender liner to the fender itself. Also, there is the tab underneath the car behind the wheel with two bolts. Those come out too. They play a slight part in fender alignment.

take out the small bolts holding the fender liner in place. Look back towards the door on the inside of the fender and there is a bolt there that needs removed. Keep this bolt in mind because you'll be using it to adjust the new fender. You'll notice when you remove it that the hole in the tab on the fender is quite large to allow room for adjustment.

Open the door all the way. Look straight into the hinge area of the door, near the very top. Basically behind where the mirror would be when the door is closed. There is a bolt there. It plays a part in the alignment of the fender in the top area.

I think that is all the bolts. That is all from memory so I might have missed something but if I did it would be pretty obvious when you work on it.
Thanks! anybody got anything on the bumper cover?
Old 03-09-2009, 04:18 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bumper cover is easy. remove all plastic pop-in clips on the top lip (under hood) and bottom lip of the bumper cover. remove all 10mm bolts holding the plastic mud shields/inner fender plastic. remove all 6 bumper cover to fender bolts (10mm)