Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Finally removed my SFCs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 08:13 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Finally removed my SFCs!

Took some time, but I managed to do it! I was weary about doing it at first because I hear when you weld on the frame or any metal for that matter and then apply more heat to it later on, that it changes the properties of the metal making it weaker. Anyhow, a torch or plasma cutter are the most common things to use as far as cutting metal. The plasma cutter being the nicer of the 2 and having cleaner cuts but unfortunately I didnt have access to one and using a torch was out of the question. I would be wasting my time if I was to use a torch because most of the job would be griding because of the nasty cut it leaves behind. Besides any of that, both tools would of put too much heat on the frame and I would be screwing it up. So I had to have an alternative...anyhow, I took a trip out to Sears and bought me an air cut off tool! Took that baby home and used it as soon as I got it all set up! It took a little time to cut all the welds, but not as long as it would of taken with a torch and a lot of grinding! Anyhow, the cuts were clean and the grinding was minimal! The most exciting part of this job was, that I removed 40 lbs. off of the car! Each connector weighed 20 lbs., crazy if you ask me! Im so glad that its all over with and Im glad I finally got the guts to go out in the garage and do it. By the way, I made the SFCs out of square steel tubing way before I even hit the performance market. Big mistake, but I had to learn the hard way! Now time for a set of chromoly SFCs!
Old 10-17-2003, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default Re: Finally removed my SFCs!

Congrats!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:32 PM
9 Second Club NA

Thanks a lot, I needed that. Time went so fast, it didnt even seem like it took that long. I drug it out and did it in 2 days, but only for a couple of hours each day. Im just so relieved that theyre off and I can finally buy me a nice set and keep off the weight. My car needs to go on a diet and I figure I can make a big difference starting with them.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that it went well. I was real concerned about the potential results of that project.
Old 10-18-2003, 12:35 AM
9 Second Club NA

Thanks...I was concerned myself, thats why I had to find a way to do it without applying too much heat. The tool worked great, but went through 5 wheels. I cant believe that I didnt think of using one a long time ago. I know that you said that it wouldnt be worth it because the weight that Im removing would make that big of a difference and that its not worth screwing up your frame, but every bit counts. But when I got one off, I soon discovered that each one weighed an astounding 20 lbs.! 40 lbs. is a lot to me, but thats my opinion. Not only the weight bothered me, but they hung low, lower than any SFC out there.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:17 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you cut those subframes off to throw some chromoly subframes on? How much weight savings are you looking at? Also, if you weren't going to go with some chromoly subframes, would you opt for the 40 lbs subframes or no subframes at all? Just curious because I'm lowered and my boxed subframes (Spectacle Solutions bolt ins) drastically reduce my ground clearance and speed bumps are quite the problem in my area, and I could save some weight too, at the expense of some rigidity. You made me wonder if taking my subframes off would be worth the weight savings and ground clearance.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:42 PM
9 Second Club NA

So you cut those subframes off to throw some chromoly subframes on?
Not necessarily...I cut them off because they hung too low and they were extremely heavy! (20 lbs. each) My car is going on a diet and I figured that I would start with the heavy SFCs I built a while back. I cant remember exactly how much Im saving as far as weight goes, but the chromoly tubular SFCs are under 20 lbs. total and you couldnt even tell theyre there unless you got under there and looked. They dont affect the ground clearance whatsoever. I dont have them yet, but I have a couple of buddies who do and I never knew they were there looking at the car from the side. If I wasnt going with chromoly, I would go with the next best thing, the lightest mild steel SFCs. More than likely its the same SFC but in the mild steel. Reason being is that the boxed SFCs are going to be a bit heavier. SFCs are a must as from what Ive learned around here, whether its a 2 point or 3. Any subframe connector is better than none at all. If youre worried about clearance or weight for that matter, than go with a set of tubulars. If you want an even lighter SFC, go with chromoly. Hope that helps.
Old 10-21-2003, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats. My '01 T/A is in the shop this minute having my KBDD SFCs removed. SLP SFCs are going in their place along with some additional bracing and attachment points. Also my rear right LCA is being R+R'ed since I could never tighten up the LCA (even at 200+ ft-lbs). It rattled up and down on large bumps and slowly but surely wore into the mount.

Quick Reply: Finally removed my SFCs!