General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

has anyone replaced an ignition switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone replaced an ignition switch

i am trying to replace my ignition switch on my car not the one that the key goes in but the switch on top of the column under the dash has anyone replaced on and what is the easiest way to get to it and replace it
thanks
Old 03-14-2009, 06:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Shoebox has a great writeup for this. I did mine w/o the writeup since I didn't know about it until afterwards. It's not hard, just cumbersome if you do it my way(Leaving the steering column in the car and laying on your side/back in the floorboard while working on it). Shoebox has you take the column out.
Good Luck!

http://shbox.com/ignsw/ign_switch_repl.html
Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
i am trying to replace my ignition switch on my car not the one that the key goes in but the switch on top of the column under the dash has anyone replaced on and what is the easiest way to get to it and replace it
thanks
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 AM
Launching!

I followed his procedure as well, and it was a very easy fix. Sounds worst than it actually is. I certainly recommend pulling the whole column out of the car, it's worth the extra effort.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 PM
Launching!

ok thanks maybe ill wait till the summer because its not acting up as much as it used to but thanks about how long did it take for you to replace it
Old 03-16-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Like the other gent said, there's less cussing and skinned knuckles by pulling the column. Probably an hour if you've done it before. First time always takes the longest.

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
ok thanks maybe ill wait till the summer because its not acting up as much as it used to but thanks about how long did it take for you to replace it