Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM/Tach Wire for MicroEdge

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RPM/Tach Wire for MicroEdge

Just need to find out what wire to tap into to get the tach signal for my controller. I know I can go off of pin 10 on the PCM, coil, or injector. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to any of them? I am thinking I want to go off of the coil or injector just to make it easier for me to wire. What color wire am I looking for?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:00 AM
FormerVendor

I like it off the PCM since it is easier to hide and looks a little cleaner.

Nick
Old 03-17-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks but I would rather not go off of the PCM at this point because all of my wiring and tubing thus far is on the driver's side in one area and it looks like it would be very easy to splice into the #1 injector or coil pack. Is it all the same as far as signal quality/signal type?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:31 PM
FormerVendor

No they are not the same. You can pull them from either place, but the PCM has a faster update rate than the coil does. Ultimately giving you a more accurate reading. But like I said, all locations will work.

Nick
Old 03-17-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
No they are not the same. You can pull them from either place, but the PCM has a faster update rate than the coil does. Ultimately giving you a more accurate reading. But like I said, all locations will work.

Nick
Are we talking a 100 RPM lag here or how much faster would the PCM update? For example, if I got the signal from the coil or injector, and I had the upper limit of my window at 6000, would the ME actually stop commanding spray at 6100 because of the delay? Or what kind of delay are we talking here? If it is around a 100 rpm off I don't think I would worry about it much, maybe just set my upper limit a 100 rpm lower and be done with it.

Any does anyone know what color wire for the injector or coil? A pic I have seen of the coil wire it looks bluish green but want to be sure..... Thanks!
Old 03-18-2009, 10:13 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Are we talking a 100 RPM lag here or how much faster would the PCM update? For example, if I got the signal from the coil or injector, and I had the upper limit of my window at 6000, would the ME actually stop commanding spray at 6100 because of the delay? Or what kind of delay are we talking here? If it is around a 100 rpm off I don't think I would worry about it much, maybe just set my upper limit a 100 rpm lower and be done with it.

Any does anyone know what color wire for the injector or coil? A pic I have seen of the coil wire it looks bluish green but want to be sure..... Thanks!
Its not going to be a specific amount for each and every car so you really can't plan ahead for it. For the individual coil, take a look at the 4 coils on one bank. There will be 4 wires going into each one. 3 of the wires on each coil will be the same color and 1 wire will be a different color for each coil. Tap into the wire that is the odd ball color in the group and does not match any other coil. That will give you the signal you need.

Nick
Old 03-18-2009, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the info. What about the injector wire? It looks like the injectors have two wires and each and one of the wires on each injector is pink and the other wires vary from injector to injector. Am I looking for the other oddball wire in this case as well? Is there any difference between the coil signal and the injector signal?
Old 03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tap the PCM wire. There is a plug on the pass. side fender that makes it very simple. DO a google search and you can figure it out. If you tap the PCM, the MircoEdge needs to be set on 2 for the tach.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^Thanks for this info. I didn't find much when I googled it but I went ahead and ohmmed out the wire from pin 10 on the PCM to the plug on the pass side and came up with the inner white wire on the plug. So, I just tapped into that and ran some wire across the front of my engine bay to get where I needed to go. If anyone needs a pic of which wire it is on the pass. side fender that connects to pin 10 just let me know and I'll be happy to get a pic.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
^^Thanks for this info. I didn't find much when I googled it but I went ahead and ohmmed out the wire from pin 10 on the PCM to the plug on the pass side and came up with the inner white wire on the plug. So, I just tapped into that and ran some wire across the front of my engine bay to get where I needed to go. If anyone needs a pic of which wire it is on the pass. side fender that connects to pin 10 just let me know and I'll be happy to get a pic.

please post a pic! thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kcssmaro
please post a pic! thanks
There are two white wires running to this plug but you are looking for the inner white wire which is closest to the engine. Its contact on the connector is where the black probe is touching. This wire connects to pin 10 on the PCM for your RPM pulse.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about tapping into the coil harness on the passenger side. Someone said the second wire from the firewall on the top, big white connector will work for a RPM signal.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by RsSean
What about tapping into the coil harness on the passenger side. Someone said the second wire from the firewall on the top, big white connector will work for a RPM signal.
There are a few places to pull it from.

Nick
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have used the coil wire with no issues. This was on the Vettes due to the PCM being so hard to get to. This was also on 6-speeds which it really has no effect on launching because we are above the low set point anyway, and once you go full throttle it's activated, then on set point for top it depends on how fast you shift and what rpm below shift point you want it set. So I guess what I am saying is, if the coil rpm signal has a slower refresh rate, it really doesn't play much of a role in setting up our systems; at least I haven't seen any real issues thus far? Neither hyas there been any reports and many have used the coil location. Now with that said, the f-bods have easier access to the PCM, so I would use that when available.
Robert
Old 03-23-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
I have used the coil wire with no issues. This was on the Vettes due to the PCM being so hard to get to. This was also on 6-speeds which it really has no effect on launching because we are above the low set point anyway, and once you go full throttle it's activated, then on set point for top it depends on how fast you shift and what rpm below shift point you want it set. So I guess what I am saying is, if the coil rpm signal has a slower refresh rate, it really doesn't play much of a role in setting up our systems; at least I haven't seen any real issues thus far? Neither hyas there been any reports and many have used the coil location. Now with that said, the f-bods have easier access to the PCM, so I would use that when available.
Robert
Holy chit....He's alive!!!

Quick Reply: RPM/Tach Wire for MicroEdge