General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Ever had this window motor problem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever had this window motor problem?

I go to replace my window motor today, I pop off the door panel and one of the rollers for the actuator has popped off the track. The very front left one when looking at the door panel.

Was a pita to get it back on. Never seen this/heard of it. The roller wasnt broken just not on the track. Weird....

One other thing, is anyone having problems with Search function on here? Nothing I search for no matter how specific comes up. I put in window motor install guide or window motor, the thing that pops up is head gaskets for sale, put in tires, brings up timeslips, weird stuff...
Old 03-17-2009, 10:30 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes. Wierd...

Any signs the regulator has ever been taken off? If not, maybe the roller is so worn that it comes out? (If so, you can order replacement rollers. Doormanproducts.com - part 74408)

If you want to avoid taking the regulator out to get the roller in, try popping the roller wheel off of the stud. (I think most of them just snap on to ball joints on the regulator.) If you take the roller wheel off, you can slide it back in the track and then snap the regulator back in to it. (When you do this, you should probably make sure you lube everything up with Syl-Glyde. Its a grease that matches what is already in the tracks and can be purchased from NAPA.)
Old 03-18-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

So I need some help with my window situation....

There should be two rollers on the top track correct? I got them all on the tracks, but now my window will not go up all the way on the motor side. It runs out of teeth to roll across, but the side farther away from the speaker lines up/goes up all the way. I can shift/tilt the window back and forth (like its loose) a little bit also, and can almost make it line up by tilting it, however it does not stay like this.

Other question/problem The flat rolled spring that goes on the back, how important is that? lol what is the function of it? it fell off and not sure how I need to reattach it permanently
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

anyone?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The spring is the most important part of the system! It is the counterbalance that "takes" the weight of the glass as it goes up/down. Without this spring, your motor will burn out very quickly or... the regulator and tracks will not work properly.

- Yes, there are two rollers on the top track. They are most likely working fine.
- It sounds like the window is going up or ending up crooked, correct? Or perhaps it starts to go up straight and then goes crooked? If so, your issue is most likely being manifested at the lower inner track, which bolts to the inside of the door panel. (That lower inside track controls how level the glass is with the door sill as it goes up.) If the roller gets hung up on that track, the glass will go crooked and will have the effect of lowering one corner of the glass while the other corner goes up. If your regulator spring is shot, it will be much easier to for this to occur because of the added weight that the regulator arms must carry.

So - the fix is to replace your regulator. (You may find a post on this site, which will detail how to get the spring back on if all the pieces are intact. - A lot of people loose the spring when they remove the regulator improperly.) Once that is done, everything should work a lot more smoothly.

As a test of the above theory, open the door and try pulling up on the glass with two hands while someone else actuates the window switch. The pulling with your hands should act as your missing counterbalance and the window will hopefully move correctly.