Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

door fitment and paint shade

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default door fitment and paint shade

So a couple of weeks ago i take my 22k mile MRM TA out for the first time in awhile and some a-hole comes out of his lane while turning onto the street i was driving on and grazes my pass. side door and rips my mirror of its mounts. It didnt even dent or crack the fiberglass, just cracked the paint an took it down to the fiberglass in one spot.The insurance says theyll give me 640 something odd dollars for a new mirror, repaint the damaged part of the door and blend in the rest of the door and the front fender.

Heres the kicker, i can get an entire unmolested pass. side door for less from someplace in the same color as my car. So my question is, how greatly do the factory paints differ in tone and how far off would the alignment be if i can get another door and put in on my car? In my mind its sounds better than taking my car to a body shop and leaving it there for weeks and having my pristine factory paint fender painted over. Sorry for the essay and TIA.

YMN
Old 03-18-2009, 10:18 PM
11 Second Club

find out your paint code go to/call an auto body supply shop they will tell you if there are any variants year to year factory to factory..
As far as fitament thats going to be up to how well you can get things lined up when you install the replacement door. If its factory it'll fit pretty much the same but you have to play with the hinges to get any door lined up. If you don't have any experience with this and want to save some coin, get it as close as you can and take it to a body shop to get it lined up properly. That will be your cheapest route other than doin everything yourself...
Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

My main concern with going down this path is the paint on the other door being weathered/faded or just not as properly maitained as mine, leading to some slight discoloration when installed next to my q-panel and fender.

You mean the place that provides body shops with the paints and theyre supplies? How would i go about finding were they are? Thanks for the advice ill look into it.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 PM
11 Second Club

As far as fading base/clear really doesn't if its been properly cared for. Is there any way you can bring your car to where the door is to compare???
Just google auto body supply or automotive paint with your zip code attached, they are all over, especially down where you are If you have a problem let me know my friend sells paint booths all over S FL he would know the best places down there....
EDIT:
BTW according to PPG your paint code should be 408G, check your door jamb to be sure. Bottom of the top sticker you'll see BC/CC then over like 2" you'll see the code

Last edited by torquejunky; 03-18-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:10 PM
Staging Lane

No, the door im looking at is in texas. The guy is gonna be sending me some pics of it tommorow. I havent really done much searching, but youd think there would be some good body shops down here, especially with all the exotics and high end cars runnin' around. Still, nothings too good for my baby, lol. Thanks for your help, i appreciate it. As a matter of fact i would like to get my ws6 hood repainted, im rockin the sleek beak right now, i think ill take you up on that offer.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:13 PM
11 Second Club

OK shoot me a PM with your cell and I will give him a call and see what I can do...
Old 03-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks man, PM sent.