Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with 6.0L combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 6.0L combo

I'm thinking of putting a 6.0L motor in my 71z28. I don't know alot these motors yet. I'm hoping to get a truck short block to start with. Will i be able to use the L92 heads with a truck short block? What style intake would i need then? I don't want to use a stock truck one. Looking for more of street/ mild strip performance. I figure i will do some minor porting on the heads and get a cam and a set of long tube headers. I want to be able to drive the car and enjoy it. I have a racer 406 small block in it now. Will the 98-02 camaro oil pan work on the truck block? What would be the best computer set up to use? I want to get something aftermart that will allow changes on the tune. Any info or websites to check out would be great. Thanks
Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

L92 heads will work on 6.0L truck engines. LQ4s are more common, and have less compression. LQ9s are less common (Escalades, Silverado SS) and have more compression.

Your choices on intakes are the stock truck L92 intake or the LS3 car style intake. Both are fairly equal on the dyno, it just depends on what accessories your planning on running and how you want the engine to look.

The heads really dont "need" porting on the intake side. The exhaust could be helped out though. I just bought a set of CNC L92/LS3 heads and they really arent that much more expencive than stock ones.

Im also getting a cam, Comp Cams just put out a new line of camshafts called LSR cams that have shown great results. So Im going with one of those.

Yes the camaro pan will work on the truck block.

For the computer, If you have the budget, get a FAST XFI unit. If not get a stock computer and learn to tune with EFILive or HPTuners.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Learning to tune with HPtuners is a bitch! But quite the hobby.

<<<<<<< Bought HPtuners Pro and LC-1 a few weeks ago.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Would there be a better head choice to start with on a budget or should i just get the L92's? I'm trying to make the car more of a driver. I figure a fair set of heads with a cam and some headers. Right now i have a 406 old style small block with afr 210 heads,a large hyd voodoo roller cam,750hp holley , 350 turbo trans with a 10" 3800 converter and 4.10 gears. Trying to make this performance street car that i can enjoy more. What would be best for street perf with alot of torque?? Thanks