Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blown head gasket/ looking 4 upgrades.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown head gasket/ looking 4 upgrades.

i am new to this world of ls1's. Since my head gasket blew an i need to pull the motor to do the work i was wanting to know what a good low budget horsepower increase would be? I was just looking to do a cam an some decent headers. What is involved with doing the cam swap as far as new springs an so on? I would really like to gat some suggestions on this matter. i have a 1999 trans am, 6 speed. I was looking to go with texas speed. They look as if they got great prices on cams an headers... thanks to everyone that is willing to help......Rob
Old 03-22-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you don't need to pull the engine... but I just did this job about 3 days ago... have fun is all i have to say LOL...

I see your new here, so i'll save you the trouble of searching...

Kooks, LPP, QTP, ARH are all the favorite brands of headers on here and best fitting... TSP's headers are pretty good, but their Y-pipe sucks...

all the mods your wanting to do really depends on your goals... how much power your wanting to make, and how far your really wanting to go when modding this car...

If your going that far into the engine and have the budget to work with... you might as well buy a set of heads with the springs already assembled in them to save you the trouble...

Some of the best heads you can buy I'd say are the AFR's and Trickflows

I've got AFR's and love them.... My BBK headers and Y-pipe fit and perform really well too.... my sig has more info on my setup if you care to look further...

GOOD LUCK!

oh... and you probably don't know all the abbreviations I used since your new...

TSP = Texas Speed and Performance
QTP = Quicktime Performance
ARH = American Racing Headers
AFR = Air Flow Research

BBK and LPP = not sure what they stand for
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
BBK and LPP = not sure what they stand for
LPP is LaMonte Performance Parts

No one REALLY knows what BBK stands for.

But as for cams, Thunder Racing is a great place to go to. I'm actually about to get the TR224 cam on a 112LSA. Makes GREAT power on a cam only car! As for heads, I have no clue. To help you with some of the bolt-ons ls1howto.com is a great place to read up on!

Hope this helps!