Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge Cluster Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Question

My oil pressure guage in my cluster hangs all the way over to the right and hasnt worked for a while. I was thinking in just getting another cluster. Will a 02 trans am cluster work in a 99 camaro? Was just curious about it before I got another camaro cluster or a t/a cluster.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by thunder0880
anyone?
I doubt the problem is in the gauge cluster.

If you have open circuit or short circuit the gauge will peg one way or the other. Most likely your problem is the oil pressure sensor (fyi, its behind the intake) or the electrical connection to the sensor.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Teching In

I have heard both ways that it could be the cluster or the oil pressure sensor. I check the sensor this morning and everything seemed to be fine(not broken off or wires cut). I only felt one wire coming out from it is that how many its supposed to be?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't had that sensor unplugged in a while. If you can wait a month mine will be off again so I will know.

Anyway I would do the following:
- unplug the connector, start the engine & check the gauge
- ground the connector & check the gauge

That should show you if the gauge is working. It should sweep all the way to the left & right depending on open/closed circuit.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I haven't had that sensor unplugged in a while. If you can wait a month mine will be off again so I will know.

Anyway I would do the following:
- unplug the connector, start the engine & check the gauge
- ground the connector & check the gauge

That should show you if the gauge is working. It should sweep all the way to the left & right depending on open/closed circuit.
This is on my SS. I checked my ta and seen it was just one wire. I unplugged it today and stayed the same. I tried grounding the connector (the best I could the tab is so small) but no luck. The oil pressure gauge is still maxxed to the right. when I kill the engine though the needle drop slightly but still way over. Slighty means about 1mm. Think it could still be the sensor? hate to buy a $50 part for nothing.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hear you on the part, those are expensive. If you know anyone with a good scan tool you can read the oil pressure while the motor is running. I have efilive (scan only) which can do it and the more expensive hand held OBDII scanners can also display things like this.

So if the oil pressure looks good with the scan tool then I guess the problem is your gauge cluster. If the scan tool can't read it then it's wiring/sensor.