Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two part question about dynos and flow numbers.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 05:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Two part question about dynos and flow numbers.....

A) How can dyno numbers vary (signifigantly) from dyno to dyno? Aren't dyno numbers corrected to SAE "standardized" numbers using a formula that is supposed to account for variables? How can dynos vary more than a hp or two, car "A" puts out "x" amount of HP. It wouldn't put out more hp at one shop than at another, right?

B)How can flow numbers vary (signifigantly) from flowbench to flowbench? Isn't a flowbench supposed to be calibrated to also calculate flow to a "standard"? We all know that "X" set of heads flows the same amount of air at one shop as another, but yet the same head can flow two different numbers at two different shops.

Setting dishonest dyno and flowbench practices aside (I'm sure its possible to "trick" a dyno or a flowbench, but I don't know how, and I'm sure the "trickers" aren't telling) why is there the discrepancy in numbers? Is it all dishonesty and trickery, or do some people not know fully how to use the equipment, or ??????

For the skeptics, no I'm not getting at anything, or trying to stir anything, I'm really curious.

Thanks, Shawn
Old 10-21-2003, 05:10 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Two part question about dynos and flow numbers.....

Well, check out my thread if you haven't already:

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...31&fpart=1
Old 10-21-2003, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Two part question about dynos and flow numbers.....

the only thing they can change to fudge numbers on a dynojet is to set the altitude much higher than it is in real life.
Also if there temp signal is close the cars exhaust exits it can make a difference also.
As far as flow numbers difference in between benches is comon, Just look for the gains made compared to a stock head on the same bench.
They could also have a leak that could affect flow also.