Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr

Installed Elemental Design 6.5s in the sail and 6.5 seperates in the doors. Thanks to the recommendation from Ian Kee when his stock was expended he gave me some real good advice for DVC subs.
1. Used 3/8 thick plywood and cut spacers for the speaker to fit and the magnet to clear.
2. Need to trim the inside of the sail panel to clear the speaker grill.
3. Soldered the original speaker leads to the now speaker so as to retain the factory plugs.
4. The front factory speaker mount will work if you cut the back out and the grind it to almost paper thin near the speaker. Its not weakened because the mount speakers are bosses on the outside. Use new screws with smaller heads.
5. Put an extra screw in the top as its needed to hold the mount tight.
6. Factory tweeter mount works fine be careful removing the factory speed clips to prevent tearing them off the panel.
7. The factory screw with the after market speaker needs a lock washer prevent the screw from bottoming before getting tight.

THEY SOUND GREAT.

The Edead was awesome as well see seperate post!
Ed
Attached Thumbnails Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr-factory-mount-installed.jpg   Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr-factory-mount-installed2.jpg   Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr-speaker-mount.jpg   Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr-speaker-mounted-extra-mount.jpg   Lessons Learned Sail New Subs, Frt door spkr-speaker-mount2.jpg  

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed my powerbass 3XL-60C speakers in my car, and yeah i had to saw away at that damn stock mount. that was the PITA part haha. making it nice and smooth so that speaker fit in nice. What an upgrade!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default damping

excuse me mass loaders, did you use any? I have the GMMG exhaust. It helped my stereo and I'm not done yet, about half way.
Ed