Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom PCV setup... trouble finding parts

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 04:39 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Custom PCV setup... trouble finding parts

Hey all,

I'm planning out a new PCV system now that the Procharger is one the car. The shop I had tune the car basically took the PCV off and threw it in the trash (after it blew out all the seals on the first pass... OOPS!) So, I'm starting from scratch basically. Here is what I'm wanting to do, essentially:

Now, I have two issues/questions that I'm dealing with...

1) I need to find a PCV valve. I think something like this would work:

It looks like I could stick this right in the valve cover on the rear driver side and then run a hose from there straight to the catch can. Does that sound about right?

2) I can't seem to find a vacuum check valve... they're all either vacuum relief valves, vacuum canisters, or whatever. I have found lots of fuel and oil check valves that are obviously designed to be used in-line. Are these okay for a vacuum line, too? Can anyone provide me a link to something that will work?
Old 03-25-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just use a second (straight) PCV valve. The 90* pic shown will work in the valve cover. Although, all you need is one PCV valve located in the line from the catch can to the intake.

EDIT: If it were mine, I'd forgo the PCV w/ a turbo. Just put breathers on both of the passenger side valve cover ports, run the line from the drivers side cover to the catch can & then vent the catch can to atmosphere. Another breather goes on the LS6 valley cover (small style will fit the nipple). Nothing connected to the intake or you'll get a vacuum leak code or idle lean because of sucking air through the breathers, after the MAF (unmeasured air). I think that a PCV is gonna blow seals again, as crank pressure will only exhaust out of one valve cover opening.

Last edited by LS1-450; 03-25-2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:36 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, LS1-450. I have the PCV open right now (with a breather), and I can't stand the smell of oil I'm getting in the car. It's getting pretty crazy.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gauge
Thanks for the info, LS1-450. I have the PCV open right now (with a breather), and I can't stand the smell of oil I'm getting in the car. It's getting pretty crazy.

If you had tuning software you could connect one of the passenger side valve cover nipples to the intake & then put breathers on the second passenger side cover & the driver side would connect to a vented catch can. With the tuning software, you could tune out the lean condition created from the un-measured air entering the intake through the breathers. This would also get rid of most of the oil smell.

Why was I thinking that you had an LS6 valley cover? Anyway. doesn't matter. The set up described above is routed without an LS6 valley cover.

If no tuning software, maybe you could go with swapping a passenger side type of valve cover onto the drivers' side. This would give the crank case more openings to vent through when the pressure needs to escape. Connect the rear drivers' side to the catch can (non-vented) & then to the intake. Mount the PCV valve in that line (open to intake side). Then connect the other three valve cover nipples to the CAI tubing after the filter, as you have shown. This type of arrangement may provide enough pressure relief so that you're not blowing out seals. It's hard to say when you're dealing with possible added pressure from a turbo.

Quick Reply: Custom PCV setup... trouble finding parts