General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Window Guide

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Guide

Where can I get a replacement window guide? Those two little pieces covered in felt that keep the glass from rattling?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:33 AM
TECH Regular

Never mind I found it on gmpartsdirect..and its called a window stabilizer...These cars are sooooo crapply built its pathetic...everythingggg inside the door panel is loose and rattling, what the **** was gm thinking when they put this crap together?!!And how come these crappy window motors werent recalled or something..This car is a rattle box..end rant
Old 03-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jattgunman
Never mind I found it on gmpartsdirect..and its called a window stabilizer...These cars are sooooo crapply built its pathetic...everythingggg inside the door panel is loose and rattling, what the **** was gm thinking when they put this crap together?!!And how come these crappy window motors werent recalled or something..This car is a rattle box..end rant
The doors in themselves are fine. (For a door/car that was designed in 1990!) Time and poor care will take their toll. Are you the first owner? Was anyone in the door before you?

You might want to check the mesh sleeves over the rods in the doors. They are there to keep things from knocking around - so if they are out of place, you'll get more noise in the door.

The motors are an even older design. If you cross reference them, you'll see that they were on GMs in the 80's! Way back then... it was common to have to change out door mechanisms regularly. If you want to update them to a more modern and reliable design, you can go with the new AutoZone design or do what I did and install an aftermarket ElectricLife kit: http://www.electric-life.com/shopexd.asp?id=929 (I installed these almost two years ago and they are still running perfect.)
Old 03-28-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

The mesh sleeves are in place but all the places those rod things are attached to rattle like hell. The door handle piece squeaks and vibrates the lock mechanism has a bad vibration. The tab where the door handle rod is attached is vibrating. Also that plastic template the speaker attaches to has a vibration. Plus the motors are dead so I have a bit of work ahead of me. My goal is to get this car to be quite and it’s a challenge. But I will pick up some window motors soon. I just wish gm had put a little more effort in fit and finish
Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by jattgunman
The mesh sleeves are in place but all the places those rod things are attached to rattle like hell. The door handle piece squeaks and vibrates the lock mechanism has a bad vibration. The tab where the door handle rod is attached is vibrating. Also that plastic template the speaker attaches to has a vibration. Plus the motors are dead so I have a bit of work ahead of me. My goal is to get this car to be quite and it’s a challenge. But I will pick up some window motors soon. I just wish gm had put a little more effort in fit and finish
There was some thought in to the door design, but it was never tested over 7-10 years to see how the thing ages. (The brutal reality of the situation is that car companies sell cars to people who buy them new. Most of those people will not keep their cars for as long as we have and will never experience the joys of maintenance.) Its not a GM thing, either. I have a sister with a 7 year old BMW, and its doors have all needed to have their window mechanisms completely replaced.

Is your car kept outside? If so, you can expect more maintenance issues in the door as it is a very wet environment. Also, you'll also want to make sure you have the clear plastic water shield installed. That helps keep some of the sound down. (If you don't have them in, you can still get new ones from GM, with the adhesive pre-applied.)

The speaker ring should be able to be tightened. Are you sure its loose? A lot of times, tears on the OEM speakers sound like a vibration.

You can quiet the door handle easily with some SuperLube (Its sold in small pen-size applicators, which is perfect for this type of thing.) Whatever you do, don't use WD-40! It will make your problem worse over time. SuperLube is recommended by GM and will keep you squeak-free for several years.

In the end, there will be some rattle from the rod mechanisms, no matter what. Its a "feature" of the door. The insulation on the back of the door panel and the plastic water shield are the primary lines of defense against related noise. If you still want to go further, a sound mat (like one would use for high end stereo installations) should take you to the next level.