Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

System Help..

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default System Help..

I have an Audiobahn amp that I have powering my 3-way speakers in my 2000 Camaro.. Well I am going to put some elemental designs 6.5 inch subs in it and I wanted the amp to power both the subs and the 3 ways.. I was wondering what voice coil I should get to work with my amp..2 or 4.. And I was wondering if it would sound good to have them both powered from this one amp.. Or should I hook the subs up to the stock amp and just have the speakers on the amp..

Also could someone show me how I would wire it if it would work?

Amp Specs..
# 100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
# 200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
# 400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output
# stereo or bridged mono output
# Tri-way capable (Tri-Way crossover required)
# MOSFET power supply
# 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
# 40-amp fuse
# 50-750 Hz high-pass/50-120 Hz low-pass crossover, 18 dB/octave
# 18 dB bass boost at 50 Hz (switchable on/off)
# variable (20-50 Hz) subsonic filter
# preamp outputs
# cooling fan
# cobalt blue illumination
# speaker- and preamp-level inputs
# 11-5/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 10-7/8"D
Old 03-29-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone?
Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 AM
Launching!

maybe you can pm or call Ian from Kee Audio.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

if you are stuck with that amplifier you are going to be running 4 speakers off 2 channels but here is what you can do...

Get 2ohm DVC 6.5" speakers and wire them in series to get 4 ohms
so now on the drivers side you have a 3 way speaker and a 6.5" sub
wire each speaker to the same channel in the amplifer, that amp channel will now see a 2ohm load and the speakers are wired in parallel.
do the same with the passenger side and the other amplifier channel.

The downfalls to this method are
you can no longer fade to the front or rear
the speakers will split the power evenly (so if you want to push 100W through the subs, then you better make sure the fronts can handle 100W)
you'll want the fronts to get the full range of frequencies so that means the sub will get a full range of frequencies unless you want to add an external filter to block high frequencies

or

get 2ohm DVC subs, wire each DVC in series to get 4ohms, then wire both subwoofers in parallel to get 2ohm, then hook up to a channel in the amplifier, but then you only have one channel left for the other speakers.

This means you will be running mono and no stereo, I'd say, spend an extra 100 bucks on ebay and get a nice 200-300W mono or stereo amplifier to power up the 6.5" speakers
Old 03-30-2009, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would it sound good if I just take the amp and use it for the 6.5 subs and just wire the 3-ways up to the stock wireing to the head unit?

Or should I keep the speakers on the aftermarket amp and then run the subs to the factory amp?

If I do one of those would it sound good? And what voice coil would I need for that?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

id say, just do it right the first time, save the extra 50-100 and get a good cheap new or used amplifier off of ebay, then you know your system will sound good. If you want good bass then you need to send those subs as much power as they want.
But if you REALLY don't want another amp, or upgrade to a 4 channel amp then hook the subs to your current amplifier and the front speakers to the factory amp. In that case get 4ohm DVC so you can wire each sub as a 2 ohm load and deliver max power to them. See how that sounds, if you don't like it, get a new amplifier for the fronts. And what front speakers are you running, usually most people do not recommend running 3 way speakers. Now that I think about it, your factory amp has 2 channels dedicated to each front speakers, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter, so not sure how that will work with your 3 way speakers, and probably wont unless you find a way to split up the wires in the speakers so that you can wire the woofer and tweeter separately. I say, just get another 2 channel amp. I have a Kicker 200.4 amp that I am using for my front speakers, delivers 121W at 4ohm to 2 channels, that should be good enough and I got mine for only $100. Im sure you can find a great deal on ebay.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vjo90rs8
id say, just do it right the first time, save the extra 50-100 and get a good cheap new or used amplifier off of ebay, then you know your system will sound good. If you want good bass then you need to send those subs as much power as they want.
But if you REALLY don't want another amp, or upgrade to a 4 channel amp then hook the subs to your current amplifier and the front speakers to the factory amp. In that case get 4ohm DVC so you can wire each sub as a 2 ohm load and deliver max power to them. See how that sounds, if you don't like it, get a new amplifier for the fronts. And what front speakers are you running, usually most people do not recommend running 3 way speakers. Now that I think about it, your factory amp has 2 channels dedicated to each front speakers, one for the woofer and one for the tweeter, so not sure how that will work with your 3 way speakers, and probably wont unless you find a way to split up the wires in the speakers so that you can wire the woofer and tweeter separately. I say, just get another 2 channel amp. I have a Kicker 200.4 amp that I am using for my front speakers, delivers 121W at 4ohm to 2 channels, that should be good enough and I got mine for only $100. Im sure you can find a great deal on ebay.
See I dont really wanna have 2 amps in my car again.. Right now I have two and I really wanna tone it down.. I read a writeup about putting the 6.5 subs on the stock amp and it working out pretty good! I remember my stock system wasnt THAT bad, so upgrading the subs could make it better.. And then I can just run the 3ways off the amp I have now, and maybe get some new 2.5 or 3.5 whatever size they are in the hatch and run them off the amp as well? IDK I am totally lost, I just really dont wanna buy another amp..
Old 03-30-2009, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FamousZ
See I dont really wanna have 2 amps in my car again.. Right now I have two and I really wanna tone it down.. I read a writeup about putting the 6.5 subs on the stock amp and it working out pretty good! I remember my stock system wasnt THAT bad, so upgrading the subs could make it better.. And then I can just run the 3ways off the amp I have now, and maybe get some new 2.5 or 3.5 whatever size they are in the hatch and run them off the amp as well? IDK I am totally lost, I just really dont wanna buy another amp..
Yeah, another choice is to run the fronts off of the aftermarket amp and the 4ohm DVC subs off of the stock amp but those speakers are going to want some power, and the stock amp will only deliver about 20W RMS or so which isn't much. Just see how you like it. Keeaudio.com also has some good 6.5" speakers, like the bazooka's which won't require any modification to fit like the eD ones will.