Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Volts at pre-outs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2003, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Volts at pre-outs?

Hey everyone,
What voltage should I see at my preout rca's that I plug into my amp? I have an Alpine MRD-M300 single channel 300W/600W amp for my sub. I was trying to set it up today and on the display, it show 13.6-14volts that was going into the amp, but the amps output was displayed as ---- and no sound from the sub. Earlier today, I hooked it up and the sub was hitting, but not very hard. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the amp display that time. Anyway, when it wasn't hitting I measured the voltage at the RCA's and found it to be 0.5 volts and I thought my preouts were 2V. Should I be seeing 2V at the end of the RCA's that plug into the amp? Let me know if you can help me diagnose my problem! Thanks!!!
Old 10-23-2003, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Volts at pre-outs?

Well the 2v output from your source unit is only going to be in the 2v range when the radio is at full volumne. Are you measuring your output in AC or DC? I know a speaker is measured in AC, I think the RCA would be the same but I am not positive.