General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

axle movement

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default axle movement

when i stand at the right rear corner of my 02 z28 and push it from side to side it sounds like where the c-clip clips onto the axle is moving too much. if you jack the car up from the rear and push/pull on the rim how much play should there be? i changed the axle seals about 5,000 miles ago. the car has 56,000 on it. thanks.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There is probly a 1/8'' or so of movement. When you pulled the axles to change the seals was the end of the axles or the pin in the diff worn? If the pin in the diff and the ends of the shafts were fine your probly fine. How much play do you have.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nothing looked worn when i took it apart. theres probably a hair more than an 1/8'' on both sides. thanks for your help.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by puggerton03
nothing looked worn when i took it apart. theres probably a hair more than an 1/8'' on both sides. thanks for your help.
I don't think you have any thing to worry about.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normal on this car. If and when you start driving your car around a track, the axle end play will actually push the brake pistons back into the caliper and you'll get a brief "dead pedal" on the brakes....it's pretty scary the first time it happens....then you get used to tapping the pedal first before laying into it.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
Normal on this car. If and when you start driving your car around a track, the axle end play will actually push the brake pistons back into the caliper and you'll get a brief "dead pedal" on the brakes....it's pretty scary the first time it happens....then you get used to tapping the pedal first before laying into it.
Ugh. That's a *fantastic* remedy. (sarcasm) Too bad I have rear axle play and am now experiencing pad knockback on the rears after a diff install, I believe.