What is it Worth? Use this forum to get feedback on vehicle prices - for selling or buying

'98 m6 ls1 z28

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 m6 ls1 z28

I'm lookin into buying a '98 F-body down in the DFW, Tx area and I'd be leaving this weekend to go pick it up.(I'm in the StL area)

So, what it is.

1998 z28 110k miles, black, black '05 gto rims, new ram clutch, c5 intake, and LT headers. Brand new oem dash, and new center console, and new leather seats. I can put up some pics later.

Asking price is 5000. But it's been sitting around for a while(2 months) so he's suggesting I'd get it tuned.

Do you guys think this is a worthy buy? I'd be driving it back, 600 roughly miles, think it would handle it fine?

Thanks, Chez.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Something sounds odd to me. All that 'new' stuff in a car with over 100k raises a few questions as to what happened in the past??? Also 'it needs a tune' is real intimidating if you want to drive it back 600 miles. Check it over real carefully and walk away from it if you have to. Yeah it stinks to waste the gas and expense but you don't want to buy a 'money pit' either. Too many good, nice cars out there in this buyers market to have to settle for 'trouble'. If you have $5,000 cash in these times you should be looking at cars priced right up to $7,000 and then offering your money. You would be surprised what people will accept when they need the $$$. Good luck!
Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by NC01TA
Something sounds odd to me. All that 'new' stuff in a car with over 100k raises a few questions as to what happened in the past??? Also 'it needs a tune' is real intimidating if you want to drive it back 600 miles. Check it over real carefully and walk away from it if you have to. Yeah it stinks to waste the gas and expense but you don't want to buy a 'money pit' either. Too many good, nice cars out there in this buyers market to have to settle for 'trouble'. If you have $5,000 cash in these times you should be looking at cars priced right up to $7,000 and then offering your money. You would be surprised what people will accept when they need the $$$. Good luck!
Right now I'm trying to find someone in the DFW area to check out the car for me before I drive down, but no luck so far.(Let me know if you know anyone ) And I'm not the most mechanically inclined person so I wouldn't really know what to look for. So if you have any suggestions let me know.

But he sent about 5 pages of pics and there are only a couple things wrong. The z28 emblem on the side is cracked in half, a very very small ding on the right rear fender, and the covering of the blinker switch is off because he broke it in half getting out with his knee. As for the blinker I'm guessing just going to a junk yard and getting one off of an old F-body.

But I completely agree I'm not too comfortable with the new things. As for the dash, it wasn't the whole dash, it was the part closer to the window, and he said it was cracked, which is understandable. And as for the seats maybe they were just too worn to sell in that condt.

And as for the title he says it's a clean title. Do you think it'd be worth it if I payed the money to get a carfax on it?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:09 AM

Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem Guaranteed
No Problem Guarantee

Total Loss Check
No total loss reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported
Structural / Frame Damage Check
No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment Check
No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback Check
No indication of an odometer rollback.

No Issues Indicated

No Issues Indicated

No Issues Indicated
Accident / Damage Check
No accidents or damage reported to CARFAX.

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported

No Issues Reported
Manufacturer Recall Check
Check with an authorized Chevrolet dealer for any open recalls.

No Recalls Reported

No Recalls Reported

No Recalls Reported

Year purchased 1998 2000 2009
Type of owner Personal Personal Personal
Estimated length of ownership 1 yr. 11 mo. 7 yrs. 5 mo. 2 months
Owned in the following states/provinces Texas Texas Texas
Estimated miles driven per year --- 10,950/yr ---
Last reported odometer reading 25,444 109,213

That's what I got.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Well the Carfax certainly helps out. It would be nice if someone could look over the car for you so you wouldn't have to drive so far. I still feel you could do better by being patient and looking around a bit. I don't know your personal finance situation but I don't see why you can't find a decent. well maintained LS1 with less than 100k miles and needing very little work. The owners want $7,000 for these nicer LS1's but as I said before, waving $5,000 cash in front of someone that needs to sell could be accomplished. No need to feel bad either. The seller isn't taking a horrible hit and would be grateful to get the $$. It is just part of the car buying/selling experience. I know I'm going on and on but if I had to sell my MINT 14k car I know I wouldn't get anything close to what it is worth. Not in these cash-strapped times. I would be happy to get a buyer however. Again, good luck. Hopefully I've helped a bit.
Old 04-01-2009, 07:30 AM

I promised a picture, so here you go.

And I do appreciate your help, I'm taking your suggestions pretty well into consideration. And, I've learned more about buying cars now.
Attached Thumbnails '98 m6 ls1 z28-p1070885.jpg