LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pulling the engine from the bottom

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:59 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pulling the engine from the bottom

Hey guys I am going to start pulling the engine and the trans out of the car. Anyways what would I have to disconnect from the car to take it out from under the car. Does anyone have a good right up or anything like that?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 96Formula6spd
Hey guys I am going to start pulling the engine and the trans out of the car. Anyways what would I have to disconnect from the car to take it out from under the car. Does anyone have a good right up or anything like that?

yeah here is what tools i found most usefull.

3/8 fuel disconnect tool
T50 Torx bit (for shock towers)
assortment of deep sockets with extensions.
assortment of box wrench's.

here is how i did it this time and i will list the problems i ran into.

1. i drained all the fluids out of the vehicle except for the oil.
2. took of alternator, and radiator it seemed to give me more room with radiator off!
3. disconnected brake lines, steering linkage, and all hoses to motor.
4. removed drive shaft and torque arm.
5. jacked up rear of car and placed it on ramps to get car off the ground a lot higher in the front.
6. jacked up from of the car and placed jack stands under the frame out of the way.
7. disconnect all wiring from engine and tranny.
8. place jack under K member and lift up the car once again and place jack stands under k member.
9. loosen the 6 bolts that hold the engine to the frame, but leave the shock tower bolts in.
10. support the tranny with a jack because once you untighten the cross member the tranny wants to drop.
11. loxer the car back down and disconnect the shock tower bolts and the motor and tranny should be free now.
12. I used and engine hoist and took a chain around the radiator support area and lifted the car and it did not do any damage to the support!
13. raise the car and watch to make sure everything is disconnected and that nothing gets caught.
14. roll the motor out from under the car!

Once you have all the tools and you have done it once it isnt that hard!

When i first looked at the motor and thought about it while it was in the car i was like man this is going to take a while, but it only helps me better understand the way our cars are set up and how to work on it when bigger things come up in the future.

Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails Pulling the engine from the bottom-237737265797_0_0.jpg   Pulling the engine from the bottom-237737510149_0_0.jpg   Pulling the engine from the bottom-237801551877_0_0.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
TECH Resident

Looks good thanks for the information. Should be easier now I know what I am doing.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:11 AM
Staging Lane

Here is another write up. A few pictures included during the process.

http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html
Old 04-01-2009, 06:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

how high does the front end gotta be? we hav a friend with a portable lift but it only lifts so high
Old 04-01-2009, 06:25 AM
Staging Lane

I am guessing the nose is almost 4 to 5 feet high to be able to get it all out. The lower air deflector was a bit of a PITA for me but if removed could save 6 to 8 inches of height.

Quick Reply: Pulling the engine from the bottom