General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wind Noise on driverside door seal near mirror

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wind Noise on driverside door seal near mirror

Hey guys, I have a bugging issue and wonder if this is considered “normal” for most F-body’s. I have wind noise that bugs me to no end on the freeway, coming from around the seal near the mirror & window. I had this phenomenon on my old 89 Pontiac formula 350. It was not present on my late 98 SS, but this 02 SS is experiencing this issue. Again, it’s on the driver side, in the corner where the mirror/ door window meet. Is there anything I can do (besides having the dealer replace weather stripping?)
Old 04-01-2009, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Its a normal thing on both sides. (You just don't hear the passenger side unless you are sitting over there.) There's a small noisy vortex that comes off the mirror. Drive on the highway in the rain and you'll see the swirl pattern on the glass that it makes.

If you think that the air seal in that corner is bad, you might be able to adjust (just a small bit) the front right window stop that is bolted to the inside panel of the door. That will allow the glass to push up tigher against the weather stripping.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

The window has six way adjustment, up/down, fwd/aft, inboard/outboard.

You take off the door cover and you will see the three adjustment points, also there's a "How To" guide to walk you thru the adjustment process, do a search on here you can probably find it.

Its a pain though, once you adjust one parameter then you will need to adjust the next one, etc.

If you fenagle with each setting long enough you will eventually get it right. Seems like it took me about 2 hrs from start to finish - including the time to remove the door panel and replace it.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You drive with the windows up? Why?
Old 04-01-2009, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Thanks guys.. I have noticed that rubber angle guide (for the window) seems to be pinched when the window is all the way up. I'm not sure why. I will look into having the window adjusted.

Quote::You drive with the windows up? Why?::
On the freeway, Yes! On the city streets, no. Better gas mileage while driving to work, which is 15 miles away. At times, I will take off the T-Tops for the drive home, if the weather permits.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here's a little write up i made, maybe it will help you out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...-write-up.html

Quick Reply: Wind Noise on driverside door seal near mirror