Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

Dyno tuned w/ questions about numbers..

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 01:52 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno tuned w/ questions about numbers..

I had a dyno tune done on my car awhile back. It is a 2001 formula M6. Everything at the time of tuning was stock except gutted cats and true dual exhaust with dynomax ultra-flo mufflers (not even an SLP Lid or K&N filter).

A/F was put at a nice flat 12.5 all across the RPM band,
before - 318HP / 338TQ
after - 326HP / 344TQ

couple quick questions... is it worth modding? Seems like the more dynos I look at for the cars on the forums these are already great numbers. Most I see are around 310hp/330TQ with headers *shrug*

This was on a dyno-jet if that makes any difference. I can get the humidity and such from the dyno sheet if that makes any difference too.

Another question is, before tuning the car was leaning out BADLY around 5k RPMs. The tuner took care of it and suggested I had a fuel pump going out or a clogged fuel filter. I'll be changing the oil and fuel filter next week, should I take it back and have the A/F re-checked after putting in a new fuel filter to see if his tuning out of the lean condition created a rich condition once the fuel filter was replaced?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't re-dyno if you think you might have a rich condition. Going too lean is what would kill your motor. Oh, and 310/330 is weak for an LS1 w/ headers IMO. Being a 6-speed, w/ full bolt ons your car could realistically get to 370 rwhp. My A4 car could probably get close if I put a ported FAST intake on it, so your M6 still has alot to gain. If I were you, I wouldn't re-dyno until I did some more actual mods.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Retune after headers and you should get an easy 20 or so rearwheel maybe 30rwhp. And you should for sure do a lid they are easy 10 hp or so. Guys that install headers likely don't get much if they don't tune it for them. Headers make the cars run very rich.

And for sure change out fuel filter and monitor pump pressure possibly by taping fuel pressure gauge to windshield. Pumps are pain to change unless you do the access hole in hatch method. That makes it pretty easy.