Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is broke now?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is broke now?

my buddys LS1 just got back from the shop a few weeks ago because he broke a spring and a valve so they replace the spring and valve and had 2 get the head machined, the problem seemed 2 be fixed....but now there is a LOUD tapping/knocking noise!

tore the top end apart last nite and everything looked ok, we are going 2 start tearing the motor down on saturday....when i had the valve covers off i noticed that the driver side head had a lot of oil sitting in it and the passenger side was nearly bone dry he has just recently bought the car and the owner told him it had z06 valvetrain and a cam(which is apparent, but we dont kno the specs on cam) but we dont know wut else is done...i pulled off the rockers, took out the pushrods and they were stock length TR chromoly pushrods....

......i know we are probably not gonna figure out wut the problem is till we tear it completley down but the one head being almost dry is definatley a concern....

.....anyone have a slightest clue wut it could be???....any help is appreciated
(sorry in advanced for the mega long post)
Old 04-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

did you get a chance to see what the oil pressure was?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

chances are the lifters were not primed with oil before starting the engine the oil goies from the block to the lifters through the push rods on to the rocker and then down the valve spring. If the lifters are installed with no oil in them the oil pump must be primed untill all the air is out of the lifter then you will have to adjust your valve lash. Also possible bad rod bearing, broken flexplate, engine or exhaust hitting the body.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

so if it is that the oil pump and lifters werent primed how bad could that have messed up any of the internals?
Old 04-05-2009, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

I have had a lifter collapse and never fill back up once but that was rare. Loosen all the rocker arms unplug the coil packs and injectors hook up a battery charger. Turn the engine over until oil comes out of the push rods through the rockers. tighten rockers back down 2 at a time at tdc. After all rockers are tight run a compression test to make sure there is no damage your reading will depend on your compression and camshaft profile look for around 150psi. Any more questions feel free to pm me and i'll get back to you sooner.