LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spring Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spring Help!

Hey guys,

Ive got a 95 camaro that I have recently rebuilt the top end with the lt4 conversion kit. I know alot of you guys say the power isnt worth it for the money but I went ahead with it anyway. After installing all the parts on a stock bottom end I began to break the them in and at about 50 miles I spun a rod bearing. Since I have to take the engine apart I was going to stroke it to a 383 (396 is a little to expensive right now). Since Im going with the bigger displacement I want to go with a bigger cam, however, dont really know what to go with. I was thinking about the gm 847. If I do go with that I'll have to change my springs seeing as the lt4s are good to .540 lift.

Any help with cam selection and springs rated to .600 lift that fit on the lt4 heads would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95stangeater
Hey guys,

Ive got a 95 camaro that I have recently rebuilt the top end with the lt4 conversion kit. I know alot of you guys say the power isnt worth it for the money but I went ahead with it anyway. After installing all the parts on a stock bottom end I began to break the them in and at about 50 miles I spun a rod bearing. Since I have to take the engine apart I was going to stroke it to a 383 (396 is a little to expensive right now). Since Im going with the bigger displacement I want to go with a bigger cam, however, dont really know what to go with. I was thinking about the gm 847. If I do go with that I'll have to change my springs seeing as the lt4s are good to .540 lift.

Any help with cam selection and springs rated to .600 lift that fit on the lt4 heads would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
There is a very minimal cost difference between a 383 and a 396, just an FYI.

Go with a custom grind for the bottom end. Let whoever designs the cam profile (AI or LE are recommended) select the springs for you. Whatever you do, DEFINITELY don't use the LT4s.