Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Need advice on rear carrier swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2003, 12:55 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice on rear carrier swap

Here's the deal: I am going to replace my original rear diff carrier in my '94, with a new SLP Zexel-torsen take-off diff carrier. The reason is the posi-clutches (non-rebuildable) are pretty much shot and the car is starting to "one-leg" it sometimes. The new carrier is pretty much identical to my OEM unit.

Here is the question: can I get away with pulling out my original carrier, transfering over the ring gear and carrier bearings, and then installing it without needing to reset backlash? I will NOT touch the pinion (unless I must). They way I understand it, since the new carrier is the identical type of the one I am pulling out, and since I will transfer over my existing bearings, and since I will not touch the pinion gear, I can do this and the backlash will stay set.

Help! I can do this in my own garage and save shelling out $$$ at a shop if I don't have to do the whole backlash thing. I would not trust myself to set the backlash, so if that will be changed by the carrier swap, I will be in over my head.