Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 11:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Rebuild

So I'm thinking of rebuilding my engine as is has 150,000 miles on it. I don't want to put add ons on it until its rebuilt. While its out I want to put some bolt on stuff on it. I'm more of a parts changer than a mechanic. I have some questions as to what to do. I want to put a different cam, Intake and maybe some heads. I'm not sure though I think I just might have my stock ones ported and polished. As far as the intake goes if I put a BBK on it or any other aftermarket intake and throttle body do I need to get a different MAP sensor as well or will the stock one work with a bigger throttle body. Also do I need to get different injectors to go with a bigger intake and throttle body. Also once I get all this new stuff on do I have to take the car to someone to get the computer reudated or will it recognize it and update itself. If is has to be updated how much does something like this cost. Average price anyway. I understand that building up an engine is like a recipe everything has to be insink with everthing I'm just confused as to what goes with what. Thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:52 AM
Staging Lane

only an intake and tb wont need bigger injectors really, no tune either. obviously you'll feel more power with a tune but its not necessary. if you plan on doing more in the future, heads or cam, get the tune after all that.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you have a reason to rebuild the engine? If you've got good oil pressure and compression with no problems then there is no reason to do it. 150k isn't really all that much if its been well taken care of.

For your other questions, you do not need a new MAP sensor or injectors for what your planning. A tune would be best done after heads/cam, but is good to be done even on stock cars. A tune will cost you anywhere between 300 and 500 bucks, some tuners will update the tune for you after the initial tune for alot less money.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info. The main reason I'm going for the rebuild really is that I'm going to have the engine out while I paint the fire wall. So I figured While I have it out I mind as well rebuild it and add some horsepower as well. I don't know it may sound dumb but I don't feel like takeing the thing out again if something goes wrong because of high mileage.

Quick Reply: Engine Rebuild