General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

missfiring when it rains

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missfiring when it rains

For some reason now after i drive in the rain for about 10 minutes my car starts missfiring...i think it's either the 02 sensors or the maf getting wet somehow because if you go WOT or even 75% throttle it clears up and takes off untill you let off the gas then it starts to mess up again. If it's dry out the car runs great....I have a k&n air filter in it but it's not oiled at the moment...The bottom of my airbox is cut out and i only have the radiator up front no condensor...could i be pulling water up into the air filter untill it gets soaked and pulls water past the maf making it mess up? i recently installed LT's where i had to lengthen the stock o2's....i wrapped up the o2 wires in electrical tape hoping that it would keep water off them...i'm not blowing any fuses when this happens or dtc codes....anyone had this problem before?
thanks,
matt
Old 04-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RagnZ
For some reason now after i drive in the rain for about 10 minutes my car starts missfiring...i think it's either the 02 sensors or the maf getting wet somehow because if you go WOT or even 75% throttle it clears up and takes off untill you let off the gas then it starts to mess up again. If it's dry out the car runs great....I have a k&n air filter in it but it's not oiled at the moment...The bottom of my airbox is cut out and i only have the radiator up front no condensor...could i be pulling water up into the air filter untill it gets soaked and pulls water past the maf making it mess up? i recently installed LT's where i had to lengthen the stock o2's....i wrapped up the o2 wires in electrical tape hoping that it would keep water off them...i'm not blowing any fuses when this happens or dtc codes....anyone had this problem before?
thanks,
matt
Matt,

How many miles are on the O2 Sensors?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:17 PM
12 Second Club

what year is your car? because i had the same problem! it was my opti spark
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

My car use to do that sometimes. Now it's starting to misfire at low rpms, when taking off. I think the opti may be going out on me...
Old 04-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Teching In

My car had the same issue in the rain about a year ago. I discovered it during an epic run of about 40 ish straight days of rain here in okc,ok. When i pulled the code it showed a random misfire. My issue was the b1 s1 (front left) extension wires getting wet. The retard who owned the car before me made his own extension harness that was LAYING ON THE COLLECTOR. Funny how someone will spend $1200 on kooks headers and skimp on the install. After replacing with a gm harness no more issues in the rain.