Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Stupid Fusking Wheel Studs... Well got my Gregwelds on and ONE prostar...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry Stupid Fusking Wheel Studs... Well got my Gregwelds on and ONE prostar...

So my Prostars and Greg Welds were looking anxious to get on my car and I finally borrowed a grinder for the calipers...

Put the Gregs on the front no prob...

Took my wheels off the rear and I'll be damned the calipers are already grinded!

Good news right...

Then I go to put the car back on teh ground and I drive forward and hear some scratching... Pulled the wheels back off and they were just slightly grinding.. So I grinded off some caliper, went to put the wheels back on and crossthreaded a stud and broke it off in the lug nut... ****, OK well I still have four, I'll limp it like this over to a shop and have a new stud put in tomorrow right? Wrong...

Looks good over here aside from being on on a jackstand...

Whats this? No back wheel?

Why? Oh this is why..

Lug 2 - stripped

Lug 3 - stripped

Lug 4 - Crossthreaded and broke the lug off again

Lug 5 - Stripped....

I'm away at school, have no tools... Have to get the car on the road by tomorrow to make it home for easter and such with my gf or she's gonna raise hell...

Ordered some ARP wheel studs overnighted... thats a $81.54 kick in the nuts...

Now I have to get the car towed into the shop by the back end so the front bumpers going to drag the ground most of the way there probably... Plus its going to be a rape around here to get the damn wheel studs put in anyway, plus I have to buy more lugnuts now...

Jesus crist what a ******* headache

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

PS my "lot" has a slight grade to it and I didnt want it rolling forward any and tipping the jackstand... Hence the boards and block to keep it from moving at all...
Old 04-09-2009, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmm...interesting...but tell me how you really feel!

jk sucks to hear that bro...seems you just might be too damn strong for those stock studs....
Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Must not know my own strength... I did have a pipe over a breaker bar though... Must have been a bit much.... damn breaker bar was only 10" long so I didn't think that was adequate leverage to torque them down... I'm afraid to take off my other wheels now lol
Old 04-09-2009, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Can't you just go down to Autozone or whatever and get some studs? Knock out the old studs with a hammer. They pop right out without trouble. Insert the new stud into the hole from the back side. Slide on a washer and thread on an acorn style lug nut with the flat side against the washer. Then just crank down on the nut with an impact wrench. If you don't have an impact, use a breaker bar and some muscle. i've replaced countless studs this way.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bb5401000
Can't you just go down to Autozone or whatever and get some studs? Knock out the old studs with a hammer. They pop right out without trouble. Insert the new stud into the hole from the back side. Slide on a washer and thread on an acorn style lug nut with the flat side against the washer. Then just crank down on the nut with an impact wrench. If you don't have an impact, use a breaker bar and some muscle. i've replaced countless studs this way.

shadetree mechanic advise at its greatest.

thats gonna be the easiest way by far for you to do it man.
Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by shtnfrds

Believe it or not, that was the standard way we did it when I worked at Chevrolet. No special fancy unobtanium tool required (or supplied). Took less than a minute per stud.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well had I been at home when this happened that would be the case, however I'm 100 miles away at school where I have no tools aside from a floor jack, a breaker bar with the socket sized for my lugnuts, and a gravel driveway...

If I have time tomorrow I'll look at it before deciding to call a tow truck to come do it, you're making it sound easy... I thought you had to pull the axle to do them? Am I thinking of a dsm?
Old 04-09-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Worst thing now is they're calling for rain the late tonight through saturday morning... Maybe I'll just go home with someone else this weekend and leave the car here and do it when I get back...

What all do I need to remove to do it that way? I notice you can't get to the lugs from the back bc there's a cover over them...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

Originally Posted by bb5401000

between me and some friends of mine we covered (worked) at all the shops in our town i believe about 13-15 shops and thats how they all do it. beat it out. push in by hand and washer and nut and tourque that bitch down. no sense in paying the dealer outrageous money to do something that used to take us 20 minutes to do all four corners. and the people got charged for like 2-3 hours worth of work lol
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

theres a cover? hmmm never heard of that. that sucks man. hope the shop doesnt rape you to hard.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, well I was thinking of some other car I had where you had to pull the axles the way they went in I thought...

Upon futher inspection in the start of the rain thats coming...

Is it just the four nuts on the back side that hold on the rotor and caliper so I can pop the studs out the back side? Or is there more to getting this stuff off, if thats it then I'll just pull them in the morning while I'm waiting on my ARP studs to get here tomorrow...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

as far as i know. you can leave the rotor and caliper on and beat the studs out the back. if you cant then yes. just pull the calipers off. two slider bolts. then the two bolts on the bracket. then you will be able to pop them out and throw new ones in. its your call. im not 100% sure that you can keep the rotors on and **** but if it was me. i would try that and atleast that is out of the way tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Found a how-to.... thank you LS1tech for saving me the cost of a tow and a shop mechanic rate! woot
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

HAHAHA. told ya. tehe. good luck on it man. and take a power drill with a wire wheel to all that and clean it up then spray paint it with some black or something to keep that rust down. in the last three days ive helped 2 people on the side of the road cause their wheels were rust welded to the spindle. lol but im glad to hear the good news man. and good lookign car.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow expensive lesson learned!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK listen, heres how you fix this problem.

1) Get phonebook.
2)look up Les Schwab.
3) Dial number
4) Tell them your address
5) tell them you need new wheel studs
6)Hang up phone
7)go on craigslist
8)find Hooker
9)have fun with hooker until Les Schwab is done

They replaces all mine for only like $50. On one wheel that is

Les Schwab will drive to your house and do it there in your drive way while you wait in about 45 minutes
Old 04-09-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shtnfrds

Just did mine that exact way 2 nights ago Worked great
Old 04-10-2009, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by not7fifteen
Ok, well I was thinking of some other car I had where you had to pull the axles the way they went in I thought...

Upon futher inspection in the start of the rain thats coming...

Is it just the four nuts on the back side that hold on the rotor and caliper so I can pop the studs out the back side? Or is there more to getting this stuff off, if thats it then I'll just pull them in the morning while I'm waiting on my ARP studs to get here tomorrow...
There's two bolts that hold the caliper to the bracket, and then two bolts to remove the bracket. Then remove the brake rotor. That will give you full access to the backside of the axle flange.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 AM
12 Second Club

on these gm rear ends they still have a C-clip that needs to be removed from the carrier to remove the axle. So that meens you have to remove the rear cover. You should be able to do it the SHADETREE way. Its alot easier. Unless you want to do it the long way.