Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

which cam for ls3 block/ls6h and intake and 12ptcomp?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which cam for ls3 block/ls6h and intake and 12ptcomp?

currently i have a stock bottom ls1 with a hot cam [219/228 .525 ,112,]. that's an increase of aprox. 10% on the intake duration and 12% on the exh., 10% for lift from the stock cam. with a head [243 gmpp]that has 255cc runner int. and i believe, not exactly sure, an exh. runner with 88cc, and 64cc bowl. many folks think this cam is puny, but i have pushed this car to 12.2 et and 1.7 60ft with the added exhaust mods and a heavy racewt of 3750lbs. so far. anyways, i'm now starting to look into the ls3 short block and i would like to keep the awsome drivability, durabilty and sound of my current set-up. i'm looking to build it around the head and ls6 intake that i have now. i do want to stretch the compression up to 12, the car sees heavy traffic a couple of times a month, and long highway trips almost weekly, and i have been taking it to the track, over 200 times now, with the usual burnouts and average of 5k rpm launches, with the reve limiter set at 6.5k rpm. i have also been spraying it for 3 seasons. mostly 100 and 150wet shots. just a couple of 200w shot passes. so if i have a cam made for the ls3/head combo mentioned, can i theoretically follow the same proportional increase of lift and duration as the ls1? the cam would be around 241/255 on a 118 lsa with , .577in . 588exh or are the duration numbers wasy to high for my driving needs and 12pt of compression? i don't mind a lopy idle, my car is a 6spd. i started doing research and i know of some reputable fellows here that can design a cam for me, but i just wanted to see what the forum community thinks. thanks for any opinions!
Old 04-11-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vengeance Racing (sponsor--->) cams are very well-liked. They seem to represent the most modern trend in cam grinds. If I had to buy another cam, it would be one of thier grinds. Whichever they reccomend.

Look through the dyno forum. That's always a great place to gather info. Also, the Drag Racing Results forums. If you're wanting to run 11's, see if anyone else there has a similar set up.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And, in answer to your question about "scaling" cam specs, I would say no. You pick your cam based on your set up. Displacement, of course, is one factor, but so are heads and intake, etc., as you know.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scaling a cam doesn't work. Find someone who knows that they're doing and have them spec a cam specific for your goals.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Launching!

i have at least a year to decide, so i'll be searching the forums to see if anyone has a set up similar to what i plan on doing . i don't want a stroker, just a plain 376 ls3. i plan on coating the valves and pistons, so i hope 12:1 is not too high of comp. those numbers on the cam mentioned seem to big on duration, don't they? i'll keep looking!!
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have several different camshafts that will work awesome in your LS3 application. Do you plan on moving over to the cnc ported LS3 style head or sticking with the GMPP head your running? I can supply you with both engine & chassis dyno data from several camshafts we've developed. I should have some data here from our early early LS6 heads which had flow data very similar to the LS6 heads your running. Give us a call I'm sure we can get you squared away no problem.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 04-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Launching!

i think the heads that i have are more than enough for me. i would like to get them cleaned up with new valve stem guides and seats. i rather have a cam with relatively low lift for durability and easy lobe design and i think i'm ready to tackle a the tuning to tame a cam that has a more overlap than what i have now. thanks for the offer!!

Quick Reply: which cam for ls3 block/ls6h and intake and 12ptcomp?