Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Huge Clutch Issue (FML)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 08:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Huge Clutch Issue (FML)

Ok so after having my car on stands for over a year (long story) I finally got it all back together for easter!!!! BUT as I backed out of the driveway I hear a strange noise kinda like a squeaky belt. As I release the clutch pedal it goes away, depress clutch it comes back.

I did this 3 times trying to just listen to it thinking maybe the bearing needs to capture some grease. Then a cloud of smoke start pouring from the flywheel area The flywheel is brand new, the clutch is a brand new spec 3+ (bought about 3 years ago, another long story) with the shim installed behind the release bearing. Of all the things I thought could go wrong the clutch was the last thing on my mind.

I was very fed up at that point so I closed the hood and went inside for dinner. I do not know if it is actually the clutch, pp, release bearing, or something with the hydraulic line. I did not remove the release bearing assembly from the car at all though so I suspect the clutch somehow destroyed itself at idle I have no idea how that can happen though. I also know with my luck that Im prolly the only one on the planet that this has happened to but if there is another soul out there who's best friend is murphy like me, please advise.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:50 AM
12 Second Club

Pulled the tranny off to find the slave/throwout shredded n cracked on every plastic piece it has. I'm also going to assume that my brand new clutch disc is ruined since it recieved a dot3 fluid shower. Double FML
Old 04-14-2009, 10:07 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a stage 3+ (as referenced above) you should be ok if you clean the disc, plate and flywheel with brake-clean. The CSM (carbon-semi-metallic) disc material won't absorb the contaminant like an organic or kevlar material. Clean it up and let me know if you have any further questions. Thanks,
Old 04-14-2009, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Wow!!!! Thats great news!!! I was just about to shoot you guys an email too about doing just that. Thanks alot!!!!!

I'll also get some pics of the shredded throwout tonight. Im curious as to wether or not there's some sort of metal piece at the front that somehow disapeared on me on the re-install. My dog prolly ran off with it and I'll find it one day when I mowing the grass.