Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FAST intake sizes & TB?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question FAST intake sizes & TB?

I have a friend who is buying a 98 or 99 Camaro, gutting it & switching over to a carb. Said it has a FAST intake w/ stock TB(?) & he'd make me a good deal on it.
Question 1: There is only a 90mm and 92mm FAST intake as I understand it, true?
Question 2: Short of an adapter you have to get a 90mm or 92mm TB correct?
Question 3: I assume TB's are measured by the diameter of the throttle blade because the TB casting necks down slightly before the blade, correct?

I have an 01 vette LS1 w/LT's and planning a cam(T2 or El torro, etc) being swapped into my 39 Ford sedan. The motor I have ended up coming to me w/a stock LS1 intake & DBW TB (& ECU ) instead of the LS6 manifold so naturally I am interested in this deal, but some of this story he is relaying doesn't make sense. He may not have good info either. I just want to make sure I get something that would be beneficial. Also, I need to figure out if I am staying with the DBW TB or if I need to switch over to cable before I bring this down for a tune when I am done. I haven't seen much in the way of bigger DBW TB's but I am the 1st to say I have much to learn still about LS motors . Any input here?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:14 PM
TECH Regular

It could be a 78mm intake as that was the first one they came out with and uses stock style tb.If it's 90 or up it would need an adapter plate.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Junkie

agreed, it could easily be the 78mm version. as stated the stock TB will bolt up.

while not as good as the 90 or 92mm version there is still power to be gained going with the 78mm FAST. especially over the ls1 intake.

you can always port it out to 80mm and run an aftermarket 80mm TB...will be darn close to the 90
Old 04-13-2009, 10:06 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

It's gotta be the 78mm FAST if it's got the stock throttle body still.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get us a pic!

But it just depends on your goals what inake you want.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

Default I'll work on it

That makes sense about the early one. He is trading it for a "not so great truck" so I would think if this guy had bought an intake for it that it was quite a while ago. I'll check it out. I have room enough above the motor for a couple more motors so the Edelbrock would work for me easily, by the time you buy all thats required you're in $950 unless I build my own rails again. I'll wait to see some independent testing 1st. I'll try to get a close pic or a number off it. Thanks for the input, I had a feeling that was the case.

Quick Reply: FAST intake sizes & TB?