Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling and Thermostat questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cooling and Thermostat questions

well in short my thermostat took a dump on me and my coolant looks pretty chunky too even though i changed it like 10 months ago. I would like to run a lower temp t-stat and wire in the fan relays so i can turn it on whenever i like.

would running a 160* or 180* t-stat with the fans on keeping it at that temp cause my car to run rich or have any other problems? this is without bringing it to someone who will set fan on and off points like a tuner.

also i have not searched but what is the best method to clean my cooling system i would rather not pull the radiator.

Thanks Guys.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

any imput appreciated.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ls engines like to run with some temp in them. a lot of folks think the 160* is too low. i have a 180* and have no issues. my fans are programmed to go on early. if you dont run the fans at the lower temp it is not going to do anything. i would think to manually have to switch on fans to get bennifits from it is a pain in the ***. i would get the computer changed to turn the fans on early.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bigti99a
the ls engines like to run with some temp in them. a lot of folks think the 160* is too low. i have a 180* and have no issues. my fans are programmed to go on early. if you dont run the fans at the lower temp it is not going to do anything. i would think to manually have to switch on fans to get bennifits from it is a pain in the ***. i would get the computer changed to turn the fans on early.
so the car wont run rich if the fans come on at 170* then turn off at 180* or whatever temp i decide to have the fans turn off and on at.