Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car cant be aligned?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My car cant be aligned?!?

So today I took my car to THREE different shops, all claiming they cant align my car. Somethings wrong with rack is what I was told. Being a v6 to v8 swap, could there be something no one knows? Is the rag/steering joint different, I was always told its the same and all of the shops confirmed this(according to them anyway). The cheapest ive found parts/labor is $505 to replace and realign. I am VERRY upset. Tell me there is something none of these shops know that is keeping this from working.....

EDIT: Just to clarify, Im using the v8 rack with the v6 rag joint which supposedly is the same.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum, didnt really know where to put it.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to a site like SDPC and search to see if you come up with different par #'s.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are they saying its runnin out of adjustment? I did alignment and suspension work for almost 10 years and dont see the problem unless thats the case.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

my SS came with a solid steering shaft if thats what you are refering to. i stripped the end and had to find a replacement. So, all the junkyards had was V6s and they have the rubber style rag joint. well thats fine but when i got home i noticed that they will in fact fit except when you install one it makes the steering wheel way off center. i notice when lining mine and the junkyard piece up that the ends were turned different. i actually bought two and they seemed to be turned different like they were made individually for each car. so i ended up cutting the rubber joint off and matching the configuation of my stock one and welding it back solid together exactly identical. worked like a charm.