Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 without adaptor plate?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question TH350 without adaptor plate?

Is anyone running a TH350 without an adaptor plate? If so how is that working? Or if you are using the plate did you have to shim the converter to make up for the thickness of the plate? I will be swapping over next year and just trying to do a little homework. Thanks

Josh
Old 10-28-2003, 07:00 AM
FormerVendor

A TH350 is a pretty straight forward install. It'll bolt to the engine...no adapter plate is neccessary. Get the TH350 with the 9" tailhousing. It will be approximately the same length as your 4L60E. You can use your stock driveshaft. You will need to get a custom built torque converter that has an LS1 pilot length and bolt pattern. We can build that converter for you at no additional cost.
Kevin W.
TCI Automotive
Old 10-28-2003, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Kevin,
Thanks for you reply and info. Can you provide some pricing info on a TH350 with a 4000rpm nitrous converter. This application will need to handle 700hp as reliably as possible. Also, like you said, with the 9" tailshaft and the deep first gear. PM me if you can't post pricing in this forum. Again thanks for your info.

Josh
Old 10-28-2003, 07:35 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

You don't neccessarily need a custom built converter. Some converters do require a little shimming and some do not. Either way works fine. The adapter plate is a waste of money IMO.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:40 AM
TECH Regular

This is reassuring because the less stuff I have to buy the better. Are there any strength or structural issues with leaving out the 2 bolts compared to the stock TH350 bolt pattern?
Old 10-30-2003, 10:30 AM
FormerVendor

NoCatz,
There is only one bolt that you'll have to leave out. It won't affect the longevity of your transmission. Like 4mulajoe said, you don't have to use a custom built converter, but some guys have had alignment issues without the proper crankshaft pilot engagement. I recommend a custom converter to eliminate this potential problem, as well as drilling the converter for the LS1 bolt pattern. Not all LS1 flexplates have the traditional Chevy small bolt pattern.
Kevin
Old 10-30-2003, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Kevin. I sent Scott an email and I am just waiting for his reply. I am thinking about going with a whole TCI package: tranny, converter and SFI flexplate. Hopefully it is in the budget otherwise my Z will be sitting in the garage with a busted tranny. The 4L60E has worked so far but when I get my new combo running I have a feeling the tranny is going to have a disaggreement with me.

Josh