Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you use stock valvle seats, and retainers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation Can you use stock valvle seats, and retainers?

I need a lil help. I have a set of 243 heads being ported and polish and the local machine shop. They are ordering a custom cam for me and matching it to the heads. They said they are gonna use new stock valve seats, and the used reatainers. The retainers had about 15k. The heads are out of 2006 GTO. Will that work, and last in time, the new springs are good for well over a .600 lift. Can u guys help me out thanx
Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

If the springs are beehive, then yes.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Hey thanx man. appreciate it. U know any place to get a good clutch for aprox 450 more or less, that will last and has a easy pedal? thanz
Old 04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/lsge...eelClutch.aspx

LS7 clutch kit
Old 04-17-2009, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For 450rwhp, avoid that LS7 clutch! Even stock LS7 owners complain about that clutch slipping with just minor "abuse" or racing. Go with a better and lighter clutch (that flywheel is HEAVY). which can be had for similar $$!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJR7AD
I need a lil help. I have a set of 243 heads being ported and polish and the local machine shop. They are ordering a custom cam for me and matching it to the heads. They said they are gonna use new stock valve seats, and the used reatainers. The retainers had about 15k. The heads are out of 2006 GTO. Will that work, and last in time, the new springs are good for well over a .600 lift. Can u guys help me out thanx
Was there something wrong with the original seats? Rarely do you need to change them. No offense, but it sounds like an unneeded expense to me, and I see modified 243s every day.

If your local shop has not done a lot of successful 243 porting, and most shops have not, they are more likely to screw up a really good casting (243) as help it. Just doing the correct valve job and milling a little to bump the compression is a better idea, but it won't bring in the bucks that replacing valve seats and "porting and polishing" will. That's the problem.

Who does their LS cams? Hopefully not someone with mostly SBC experience. You might be better off with one of Comp's milder LS cam family. That won't necessarily be ideal for your car, but it will be closer than most cam hackers get.

You springs (beehives, I hope) don't need (and probably shouldn't have) .100 more lift capacity that your lift will be. They should be matched to the cam.

Good luck.

Jon
Old 04-18-2009, 02:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
For 450rwhp, avoid that LS7 clutch! Even stock LS7 owners complain about that clutch slipping with just minor "abuse" or racing. Go with a better and lighter clutch (that flywheel is HEAVY). which can be had for similar $$!
Hi Matt,

I believe he meant $450, is there any better at that price?
Thanks for the info on the clutch.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:21 AM
On The Tree

Question Heads/ cam/ clutch !

HEY thank you guys for alll your help. Jon (old sstroker). Yeah the shop is Champion race heads, In bunnel fl. They do really good work from what i hear. The reason is think he was puttin stock OEM valve seats back in is, he did a fulll port and polish, and did shave the heads down a bit, so when he did the valve job i think he was gonna just use all new parts, its just the seats he had didnt work for the application so, he order some from the local GM dealership. He accually order a custom cam from comp and match it to the heads, with a set of .600 + lift springs. He told me the cam would be in the 230s with .600 lift on a 114 lsa, so im hopin everything will work out. It was the retainers i was worried about, but from what everyone said they can be reused.

Predator-z, thanx man also. Yeah accually i did mean about 450 hp, but also around that price too lol. Tryin to do it from a budget but its taken me about a year and a half to get here, lol. school and work. lol. Should i stay away from any puck style clutchs, and do u have and good recomendations to start savin for? I have a 2000 ws6 m6, car is super clean and looks good, so gonna do everything right the first time. thanx to everyones help its really appreciated
Old 04-18-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've driven a couple with Textralia clutch and I like'd them. Perhaps some of the M6 guys can chime in. You can also look in the Manual tranny section for some feedback.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Thank you.