LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil Pan Drain Plug Hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Pan Drain Plug Hole

Got the car not too long ago, and I think the previous owner tightened the drain plug too hard, and I noticed when I changed the oil for the first time that a few of the threads in the pan got stripped out. I changed the oil, and put back the old plug, and it's not leaking. Does anyone know what size tap I should use, or if there are any other options I'm not thinking of, or should I just leave it?

Thanks.
Old 04-17-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by owljoseph
Got the car not too long ago, and I think the previous owner tightened the drain plug too hard, and I noticed when I changed the oil for the first time that a few of the threads in the pan got stripped out. I changed the oil, and put back the old plug, and it's not leaking. Does anyone know what size tap I should use, or if there are any other options I'm not thinking of, or should I just leave it?

Thanks.
Is the oil pan gasket leaking at all? If so you could replace the pan gasket and just throw on a new pan while you are at it.
Old 04-17-2009, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Is the oil pan gasket leaking at all? If so you could replace the pan gasket and just throw on a new pan while you are at it.
Pretty sure he's talking about the oil drain plug. Not sure what that would have to do with the oil pan gasket.

EDIT: I see your point now, hah.

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Drain Plug Hole