Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Done with monsoon, help me pick setup.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Done with monsoon, help me pick setup.

I have a 200$ gift card for best buy and I want to put it towards a good headunit. I don't need 1000 fancy features, but ipod support, and mp3 cd support would be nice. Mainly worried about sound quality and tuning features.

So the headunit is coming from bestbuy.

I really don't want to get a 4channel amp. So dont recommend anything this route, I would rather have some more efficient speakers and dont need this to be insanely loud.

So far I have 2 jl audio 12w6 d3s on some Sony amp (Sony XM SD61) (Will these subs benefit from a better amp? I realize this isn't a quality amp by any means)

Will a nice pioneer HU like this tied to some Alpine type R's (in the door) be a good setup (do i absolutely need pillar speakers?) Ive heard the type r's and they seem a bit bright, i like something with more midbass, what do you suggest?

I want to keep this as cheap as possible and still be good.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for starters, having an amp makes its less stressed when playing quieter so theres less distortion and strain on your speakers.

Just look around at the features on their site, or go in and look for one that looks nice. Then see if it has those features because those are pretty basic.

Also as far as speakers, alpine makes some great coaxials for the money but their components aren't the best. I'd spend the money on a hu and go to an audio shop and find some speakers you like from the better brand choices they should have. I assume this is for your bird or you will have more difficulty finding speakers that will work in the camaro.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218056226379

Is that a good headunit or should I try for something better?
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

i would go for kenwood KDC-BT742U,

and read this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html

and if u want more bass go for 2 amps