LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 head gasket blown????

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lt1 head gasket blown????

hey guys today my car decided not to like me.. heres what happen

around the corner from my house i notice that my idle is alittle rough it dropped to about 600 instead of the normal 700 if i brake it up to 700 its fine... it is warmer out today than its been in awhile with very high humidity it was close to 70 havent seen that in awhile.

so i also notice that the temp is close to the 210 mark which is high since i have a 160* tstat in there to go with the pcm tune.. i get home it warmed up alittle bit more.. so i check the fluids its at the top as it should be. so i figure my tstat is stuck so jegs is sending me one right now...

but in the mean time i check the oil and it seems to be higher than it was a few weeks ago last time i checked and it looks thin to me but i am no mechanic so i dont know.. so i start suspecting a head gasket but i havent noticed any performance drop and there is no white smoke coming out the back.

also 2 weeks ago i added some coolant because it was low but the temp was fine when it was low and the following 2 weeks when it was full.

any opinions????

car
95 lt1 196k
hooker long tubes
ORY
borla
ram air ws6 hood
pcmforless tune with 160 tstat

thanks for the replies if i get any haha
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
Launching!

if you start your car when its cold normaly you can see a constant bubbling when you remove the radiator cap if the head gasket is blown. smell you engine oil, if it has a strong scent of gas you might have a leaking injector
Old 04-21-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mine was blown with no white smoke. but i noticed i had to floor it to get it going. also it sounded like i had an exhaust leak and i was leaking a bit of oil
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

i had the radiator cap off earlier and no bubbles... unless i opened the trottle up alot maybe 4-5k then i would get 1 bubble sometimes i figured that was just vibrations finding air...

so i am still praying that it is just the thermostat.. i cant wait til it gets here

the temp would slowly rise and never drop any lower regardless of rpm.. until it got close to the red and i would shut it off...
Old 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had that problem, the radiator needed to be flushed

Quick Reply: lt1 head gasket blown????