LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Motor mounts question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Motor mounts question...

If I have issues with headers still hitting on the K-frame after doing some grinding and replacing the motor mounts, can the mounts be spaced up like 1/4" off the k-frame without causing too much issue? Basically, I haven't replaced the mounts yet and my headers are on the k-frame after clearancing still. I can't get back in there to grind anymore, and it isn't on the frame that hard...1/4" would be enough now without even changing the mounts...assuming mine are sagging. Which is why I ask. If the mounts are not sagging and the new ones don't lift the motor enough to clear, can I space the mounts off the frame some?
Old 04-22-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
If I have issues with headers still hitting on the K-frame after doing some grinding and replacing the motor mounts, can the mounts be spaced up like 1/4" off the k-frame without causing too much issue? Basically, I haven't replaced the mounts yet and my headers are on the k-frame after clearancing still. I can't get back in there to grind anymore, and it isn't on the frame that hard...1/4" would be enough now without even changing the mounts...assuming mine are sagging. Which is why I ask. If the mounts are not sagging and the new ones don't lift the motor enough to clear, can I space the mounts off the frame some?
New poly mounts will pick up the engine, likely more than you need to have spaced. Not saying that your banging is guaranteed to disappear, but new poly mounts will lift and center the engine properly.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Resident

oh motor mounts, how lame you are.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
New poly mounts will pick up the engine, likely more than you need to have spaced. Not saying that your banging is guaranteed to disappear, but new poly mounts will lift and center the engine properly.
Yea, they aren't really "banging" so much as barely touching still...I was just wanting to make sure mounts alone would do the trick and if not see if spacing was an option. Hopefully just the mounts will be enough. And I was planning on poly anyway.

Any preference on what brand of poly? Energy, or one of the other brands in sumitt or jegs? Does it matter or is poly poly? Fitment differences?
Old 04-23-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea, they aren't really "banging" so much as barely touching still...I was just wanting to make sure mounts alone would do the trick and if not see if spacing was an option. Hopefully just the mounts will be enough. And I was planning on poly anyway.

Any preference on what brand of poly? Energy, or one of the other brands in sumitt or jegs? Does it matter or is poly poly? Fitment differences?
Poly is poly. I got my set from Spohn for 53 bucks.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

I've got energy poly mounts all around motor and tranny.

Brand shouldnt matter too much really. just price differences of a couple dollars.

And yes they should lift it up enough to clear the k-member, infact i had my exhuast welded up before i did my motor mounts and it ended up lifting the exhaust so much that it hit on the driver side bump so they had to bend the hanger and pull the tube down some more.

Quick Reply: Motor mounts question...