LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP asap!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP asap!

I checked my coolant about two wks ago and when my car was sitting it was perfectly full and everything was great. Now I checked my coolant after I drove it last weekend (it started smelling like something was burning and it started acting funny, low coolant light was on) now I check it today which is wednesday and the last time I drove it was on saturday. Now my coolant level in my radiator is not full when cold and it is dry as a BONE Should I burp the system by turning the car on, adding coolant and open the BURP hole which I close when coolant starts coming out????

Thanks,

Devin Mueller
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
I checked my coolant about two wks ago and when my car was sitting it was perfectly full and everything was great. Now I checked my coolant after I drove it last weekend (it started smelling like something was burning and it started acting funny, low coolant light was on) now I check it today which is wednesday and the last time I drove it was on saturday. Now my coolant level in my radiator is not full when cold and it is dry as a BONE Should I burp the system by turning the car on, adding coolant and open the BURP hole which I close when coolant starts coming out????

Thanks,

Devin Mueller
For the cooling system to completely drain it has to go in one of three places - out onto the pavement, into the crankcase, or out through the exhaust. Check for milky coolant, white/sweet smelling exhaust, and leaks on the pavement (or a combination of all three).
Old 04-22-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
For the cooling system to completely drain it has to go in one of three places - out onto the pavement, into the crankcase, or out through the exhaust. Check for milky coolant, white/sweet smelling exhaust, and leaks on the pavement (or a combination of all three).
Can I top of my radiator and start my car and see how everything goes?
Old 04-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Launching!

Did you recently drain all the coolant? If you drained it from the block it could have left air pockets and when the thermostat opened up it emptied the radiator causing it to appear empty when you checked it.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TDavanzo
Did you recently drain all the coolant? If you drained it from the block it could have left air pockets and when the thermostat opened up it emptied the radiator causing it to appear empty when you checked it.
X2 its a bitch to fully bleed LT1s
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

filled up the radiator to mostly full, ran the car and it subsided to normal levels. I will be driving it here in about 10 mins. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: HELP asap!