Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

NEED key for locking lug nuts ASAP in southeast MA! PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED key for locking lug nuts ASAP in southeast MA! PLEASE HELP

Hey guys

I need to change some wheels on my TA for the autocross tomorrow and i cannot for the life of me find the locking lug nut key. I only have one on each wheel but i have no idea where the key socket went

If anyone has one in southeast MA, i am in bridgewater. i can travel to meet you. I just need to borrow it for tomorrow, i can return it tomorrow night with your choice of a six pack. I'll probably just go buy 4 lug nuts to replace them and change them out tomorrow.

PLEASE HELP

edit: in hindsight, the title might have sounded awkward. I have license and registration to show if you dont believe the wheels are mine to take off.

Last edited by Lime; 04-25-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

well.... I think they keys are different, aren't they?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by massls1guy
well.... I think they keys are different, aren't they?
I dunno, i've never had locking lug nuts before. its just like a socket keyed, but i would assume there would be a master, or something? i dont know. i'm desperate.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

im not sure if they are all the same or not. I wouldnt think so.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still have the package mine came in - I assume you have the GM locking lugs that work with the stock plastic lug caps that screw onto them. Anyway there is a code number that tells you which key you have in case you need to order a new one.

Maybe the dealership could help you.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

When I purchased my car from a private seller it didn't come with the key so I had to take the car to a dealer who had a set of all the potential keys. They manually tried them on my car's locking lug nuts to find the one that worked and then I order it from them. Good luck.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ussually a 12 point socket will fit.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 AM
On The Tree

This happened to me.. except I did not have a card for any sort of code. I got a big *** socket, and hammered it over the lugnut, then used an impact wrench to take them off. It ruined the socket and all my lugnuts, but did not damage my wheels or anything else. I had to buy new ones from GM for 40 bucks.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

12 point and a hammer will usually work, i have a set of snap-on bolt-outs that do the trick when the 12 point isnt cutting it. they just give it a little more bite than the 12 pt. also, a plasma cutter works wonders though you'll be replacing the stud as well. this is this reason why i dont like using locking nuts, ive had to cut/ break way to many off to make it worth it for me anymore. any auto repair shop should be able to take them off and have replacement lug nuts to get you on your way.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JPCrazyLegs
This happened to me.. except I did not have a card for any sort of code. I got a big *** socket, and hammered it over the lugnut, then used an impact wrench to take them off. It ruined the socket and all my lugnuts, but did not damage my wheels or anything else. I had to buy new ones from GM for 40 bucks.
Golden answer
Old 04-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys. turns out i didnt even race today, i was changing my panhard rod and the rusted bolts holding the stock one in weren't reusable, had to cut one and nobody is open at 11 at night to buy bolts from.

guess if i can't find mine i'm gonna have to brute force it.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

Slowhawk is correct.

If you get a large enough 12 point socket (one that is only a hair smaller than the locking lug nut) you can bang it on to the locking lug nut with a hammer and take if off with a breaker bar.

I would suggest you get yourself a set of metric 12 point sockets. Last time I did this I think I used a 19mm socket, but I cant remember for sure.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robs98SS
Slowhawk is correct.

If you get a large enough 12 point socket (one that is only a hair smaller than the locking lug nut) you can bang it on to the locking lug nut with a hammer and take if off with a breaker bar.

I would suggest you get yourself a set of metric 12 point sockets. Last time I did this I think I used a 19mm socket, but I cant remember for sure.
oh, i've got sockets, i'd just rather not wreck em. i'm sure i've got a couple old 19mm that i could use.

I think i know where it is now after thinking it over and talking to my dad, guess i'll have to check next time i go to his house. most of my tools are there, and thats the last place i changed a tire.

*shrug* worst case i'll just go to a dealer and get a new one.

general question to all: grade 8 bolts should be good enough for a panhard rod, right?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my car it had wheel locks but the key was gone. I looked into getting replacement ones, which had to have the external threads for the caps. But after reading lots of threads where people talked about having the lock key or lug strip out or break and not being able to remove them I decided to stick with regular lug nuts. It would suck if you got a flat miles from anywhere and the locking nut decided to strip on you, and F Body lug nuts require 100 lb/ft of torque, so that's a lot of force for some weird little pattern to hold, as opposed to six flat edges. Also keep in mind that someone who wanted to steal your wheels will probably be well versed in getting wheel locks off and have good tools to do it with, so it's mostly a placebo as far as security goes.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Regular

a big visegrip works well normally too.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:51 AM
12 Second Club

Use craftsman sockets... lol
Old 04-29-2009, 07:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lime
general question to all: grade 8 bolts should be good enough for a panhard rod, right?
Yes and no. Yes, strong enough, but stock is a metric size.. so you'll want a grade 10.9. (Or, drill the holes to the next SAE size up)
Old 04-30-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Formula413
When I bought my car it had wheel locks but the key was gone. I looked into getting replacement ones, which had to have the external threads for the caps. But after reading lots of threads where people talked about having the lock key or lug strip out or break and not being able to remove them I decided to stick with regular lug nuts. It would suck if you got a flat miles from anywhere and the locking nut decided to strip on you, and F Body lug nuts require 100 lb/ft of torque, so that's a lot of force for some weird little pattern to hold, as opposed to six flat edges. Also keep in mind that someone who wanted to steal your wheels will probably be well versed in getting wheel locks off and have good tools to do it with, so it's mostly a placebo as far as security goes.
I'm probably going to just replace them with regular lug nuts.

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Yes and no. Yes, strong enough, but stock is a metric size.. so you'll want a grade 10.9. (Or, drill the holes to the next SAE size up)
I knew they were metric, i just couldn't remember the grades for metrics. thanks.

Quick Reply: NEED key for locking lug nuts ASAP in southeast MA! PLEASE HELP