LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

can i reuse my cam ????

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default can i reuse my cam ????

hey i got another motor and am going to build my other after my cam bearings went down i am wondering if i can use my cam again it don't look like it hurt it but advice would be great here on if i should chuck it and get a new one ... i would post pics but it keeeps saying i have a security token missing... any clue on that guys
Old 04-25-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it dont look bad hey why not......if all is well and bearings are still in great shape you mine as well
Old 04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

i dont know i am pulling the stock cam oout of the other motor i bought and wana run it in it till i build my other motor
Old 04-26-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hydraulic roller cams don't wear nearly as much as their flat tappet counterparts. As long as the lobes have no scarring or pitting (same with the bearing surfaces) I wouldn't hesitate to reuse it.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

i wish it would let me upload pics i cant explain it but there are no pits and what looks like scratches you cant feel with your finger nail ..looks like normal wear ... i know the cam is harder than the bearings and it would prolly take alot to hurt it eht loboes are fine it the part the sits in the cam bearings that does i would hate to swap it out in this new motor and destroy it to .......when i could bolt it in and go but i would like to run this cam since i have deleted smog egr and everything
Old 04-26-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by saylorZ28
i wish it would let me upload pics i cant explain it but there are no pits and what looks like scratches you cant feel with your finger nail ..looks like normal wear ... i know the cam is harder than the bearings and it would prolly take alot to hurt it eht loboes are fine it the part the sits in the cam bearings that does i would hate to swap it out in this new motor and destroy it to .......when i could bolt it in and go but i would like to run this cam since i have deleted smog egr and everything
If it looks fine, go ahead and run it.