General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Oil leak!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak!!!!!

I got a 94 pontiac trans am with the lt1 and the front crank seal is leaking. so i checked on getting it fixed at local shop and it was like 500 bucks. Is that something i could do myself in day and how hard is it to replace
Old 04-30-2009, 07:16 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing a front seal depends on your ability and tool availability. It's as easy as taking the belt off, putting in impact gun on the balancer bolt to get it off, pulling the balancer/hub off, then pulling the old seal out, carefully installing the new one, and putting it all back together......this is the abbreviated version, so if you don't know what I'm telling you I would recommend either finding someone that does, or going back to the shop.....unfortunately it will take a few hours, but it is easily accomplished at home, if you have the tools. I'm not trying to sound like an a**, I just don't want to suggest that someone jump in over their head since if you screw up you can break things, or have a seal that leaks just as bad or worse once you're done.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

I suggest doing it yourself. Get yourself a repair manual ! it's pretty easy provided you have the right tools. Rent a puller and buy the seal from autodome...then your good to go!
Old 04-30-2009, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

I got i repair manual right when i bought the car. I can get the puller from the local advance. Just wondering you wont have to take off any body panels or take out the radiator will you
Old 04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Launching!

You should take out the radiator and fans for more room.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

And also should i go ahead and replace the timing chain and gasket at the same time. And also is the harmonic balancer is marked or do you have to mark it?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:50 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I wouldn't pull the front cover off if you don't have to. You should be able to do the front seal with the cover still in place. So don't worry about the chain or gasket unless they are giving you some warning of failure....You would know it's stretched too far by the way the car runs....it'll act like the cam has no clue where the crank is and the car will run really poor. The balancer hub should be keyed to the crank, so if I remember correctly you can unbolt the pulley from the hub, take the bolt out of the snout of the crank and the hub will slide right off. Otherwise you will need a puller to get that off, then you should be able to pry the seal out and carefully install the new one, then put it all back together...I would at least take the fans out, as that will give you a bunch more room, but you shouldn't have to do anything to your cooling system.