LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

car hard to start but starts, runs fine

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default car hard to start but starts, runs fine

So I bought a 95 Camaro... $2300, FULL wilwood set up... 6 piston up front 4 in the back... sick brake set up... Car is a 6 speed, obviously a Lt1. The guy I bought it from said the car started great until one day he had the car leaned on jacks to the left and tried to start it, ever since, it has to crank(hold the key for 15-20 seconds) than kicks over, and runs fine...has some check engine lights, but I think due to ABS... Runs hard, burns rubber in 1st and second..So Im not sure, I have heard that the fule line might get air, and you need to bleed at shader valve... Hoping someone can help.. Ohhh Im taking the brakes off to throw on my 97 SS Stoker SO if anyone needs a 95 LT1/T56
Old 04-30-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by qnitro
So I bought a 95 Camaro... $2300, FULL wilwood set up... 6 piston up front 4 in the back... sick brake set up... Car is a 6 speed, obviously a Lt1. The guy I bought it from said the car started great until one day he had the car leaned on jacks to the left and tried to start it, ever since, it has to crank(hold the key for 15-20 seconds) than kicks over, and runs fine...has some check engine lights, but I think due to ABS... Runs hard, burns rubber in 1st and second..So Im not sure, I have heard that the fule line might get air, and you need to bleed at shader valve... Hoping someone can help.. Ohhh Im taking the brakes off to throw on my 97 SS Stoker SO if anyone needs a 95 LT1/T56
Does it change at all hot or cold start? If it only does it when hot, you might have a bad ICM.

I'd hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail and see what pressure you are getting at prime, cranking, idle, and WOT under load. You also want to see if your system holds pressure after you turn the car off. If the pressure immediately drops to zero, then you probably have either a bad fuel pump, bad fuel pressure regulator, or leaky injectors.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

I would check the fuel pressure. Mine had the same problem, I ended up replacing the fuel pump because the stock one would not hold pressure any more. Same issue, crank or prime the system a few times till it would start then the car would run fine. There is a check ball in the fuel pump that can go bad. I just replaced my pump last weekend and have no problems with it starting now.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

check fuel pressure for sure also check to see what the ses light is on for....it might be the the mass air flow to a ****....buying things from other people can be all lies, they sell anything to make a buck and would lie at any cost....so look into it with a scanner and see what all is.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by robsquikz28
so look into it with a scanner and see what all is.
X2, Good suggestion
Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine did the same thing, it was the fuel pump, it wouldn't prime good "key on", but it ran fine when running.

Quick Reply: car hard to start but starts, runs fine