Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

bearing replacement and exciter ring questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bearing replacement and exciter ring questions

car: 99 z28 m6, about 90,000 on the clock.

I have had the car for several years and for as long as i can remember i have had a mid-frequency "wa wa wa wa wa wa" sound when going down the highway (and no its not the borlas). I am thinking wheel bearings but am open to input from someone who might have a better guess.

if it is wheel bearings, i have a question about the replacement, i have heard that it is wise to get some sort of exciter ring "protector" off e-bay to do the replacement safely, is this necessary?

anyways, from the lousy description above, does this sound like wheel bearings to you guys?
Old 04-30-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i dont know if its wheel bearings but they are pretty easy to swap. you need a bearing remover for this though. those boogers are in there tight as ****. you need to remove the pan, turn the posi around till you see the sideways bolt. take it and the block out. push the axles inward and remove the c clips (after you have removed the tires, brake calipers and abs/trac sensors if 4 channel, brake rotors) pull the axles out and there are the bearings. pull the outer seals and bearing and hammer new ones in. put everything back together.

this is the remover i used. it requires a slide hammer

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92884