General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

heating problem please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default heating problem please help

im having heating issues with my 97 trans am. it heats up to 260. ok so wheni got the car home from tranny shop it was overheating. i added a half gallon of coolant and left radiator cap off, started car and it heated up immediatly, the coolant started boiling out of the the radiator cause i left the cap off. there are no funny noises or anything and it has never done this before. it does not matter if the car is driving or sittting it does it anyway

im going to replace the tstat since its easy and cheap so i can eliminate that possibility.

also is there a way i can check to see if my fan relays are good?

any ideas?

Last edited by ls1adamls1; 05-02-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:20 AM
TECH Addict

gonna need more info
Old 05-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1adamls1
im having heating issues with my 97 trans am. it heats up to 260. ok so wheni got the car home from tranny shop it was overheating. i added a half gallon of coolant and left radiator cap off, started car and it heated up immediatly, the coolant started boiling out of the the radiator cause i left the cap off. there are no funny noises or anything and it has never done this before. it does not matter if the car is driving or sittting it does it anyway

im going to replace the tstat since its easy and cheap so i can eliminate that possibility.

also is there a way i can check to see if my fan relays are good?

any ideas?
Changing the t-stat should solve the issue. That sounds like the problem. Unless you have a massive blown head gasket thats shoving alot of air into the cooling system.

Does the coolant ever flow?

You could take the t-stat out, put the housing back on and see if it overheats that way. If it doesn't boil over or get hot, its the t-stat.

Last edited by LS6427; 05-02-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i replaced the tstat and it still overheated. so i bled the air and there was alot. it seemed to fixed the problem.