Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

M6 remote starters inside.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:30 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 remote starters inside.

Just wondering if anyone has them or any suggestions on brands...I am maybe looking into this and cant find much about brands that offer Manual Transmission remote starts.

THANKS!
Old 05-03-2009, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

viper...i don't think you will find a manual transmission specific remote start since most manufactures tell you not to install them with a manual. Just buy a regular remote start and wire it up if you want one, wiring should be no different than an auto.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

I thought that there was a manual transmission unit out there i read about it online somewhere, it was stating that it has a "safety feature" that you must get out of the car with the engine running, hence the parking brake is set and tranny is in neutral and lock the doors and the engine will shut off momentarily, thus enabling it to be remote started....but if any door or hood be opened in this period of time then it automaticly disables the ability to remote start it..

Has anyone heard of this??
Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by dub.ya.es.SICK
I thought that there was a manual transmission unit out there i read about it online somewhere, it was stating that it has a "safety feature" that you must get out of the car with the engine running, hence the parking brake is set and tranny is in neutral and lock the doors and the engine will shut off momentarily, thus enabling it to be remote started....but if any door or hood be opened in this period of time then it automaticly disables the ability to remote start it..

Has anyone heard of this??
I know for a fact that they are out there, a guy I used to work with had one, and explained it exactly like that was how it works. Sadly, I don't have contact with him anymore to find out what it was, but I do remember him telling me it was ~400 to have installed. I would just call some of the local installers and see if they have them. Let us know if you find anything.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:33 PM
TECH Regular

The new Directed Electronics units are pre-programmed for RS applications on manual transmissions. all you need to do is bypass the clutch during remote start. Hell, I've got the Python 990 remote start, 2-way paging alarm unit installed on my m6 TA and I wouldn't ave it any other way

but you don't have to have a RS unit designed for manuals only. just make sure you remember to leave it in neutral and don't let anyone else in your car after it's installed, otherwise when you go to RS your car it might find it's way down the street or through your garage door.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 95TAJade
but you don't have to have a RS unit designed for manuals only. just make sure you remember to leave it in neutral and don't let anyone else in your car after it's installed, otherwise when you go to RS your car it might find it's way down the street or through your garage door.
This is what I dont want grant it I am not very forgetful but id rather be safe than sorry, if i dont let it run and lock it up and leave then remote start is disabled which is great , however if i do want to remote start it I will let it run and lock it and walk away
Old 05-04-2009, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost all of the new dei kits have a manual start mode..im fixin to install a python 1601 in my 00 z28 and it has manual mode..if you dont install one with it make sure to get a neutral safety module that way it will only start if it is in neutral. if you have any ? just pm me
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

where would you suggest buying one of these kits.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Regular

The car wouldn't actually drive away would it? Wouldn't it just buck forward and die, or am I wrong? I was thinking about remote start for my m6, but if it could ever actually drive down the road, **** that lol.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daez
The car wouldn't actually drive away would it? Wouldn't it just buck forward and die, or am I wrong? I was thinking about remote start for my m6, but if it could ever actually drive down the road, **** that lol.
my friends car drove over a mail box on its own with remote start
Old 05-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

No, your car won't drive away. It also won't run through walls, chase little old ladies across parking lots, contribute to global warming, destroy your computer's hard drive, or any of the other dire warnings you may hear about.

Just be sure to use your parking brake every time you park (a good habit even without a remote starter). The starter motor is nowhere near strong enough to move the weight of the car much - especially against a properly adjusted parking brake. In fact, even your V8 engine isn't powerful enough to overcome a properly adjusted parking brake. Don't believe me? Try it yourself... start the car, engage the parking brake, and let up the clutch without giving it any gas - the engine will stall. What chance does a puny starter motor have if a 300+ HP V8 engine can't do it?

All modern remote starter units have built-in protection from running the starter too long. It's usually an rpm sensor or a voltage sensor that determines if the engine is running and gives up trying to start if it's not running after a couple of seconds.

So, if you attempt to start with the car in gear, it will rock a bit against the parking brake and then the remote start will give up trying. I have had remote starters in five of my last six manual transmission cars and I've had my share of times when I accidentally tried to start in gear but I've never had a car move as much as an inch. It just rocks a bit and then gives up.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, your car won't drive away. It also won't run through walls, chase little old ladies across parking lots, contribute to global warming, destroy your computer's hard drive, or any of the other dire warnings you may hear about.

Just be sure to use your parking brake every time you park (a good habit even without a remote starter). The starter motor is nowhere near strong enough to move the weight of the car much - especially against a properly adjusted parking brake. In fact, even your V8 engine isn't powerful enough to overcome a properly adjusted parking brake. Don't believe me? Try it yourself... start the car, engage the parking brake, and let up the clutch without giving it any gas - the engine will stall. What chance does a puny starter motor have if a 300+ HP V8 engine can't do it?

All modern remote starter units have built-in protection from running the starter too long. It's usually an rpm sensor or a voltage sensor that determines if the engine is running and gives up trying to start if it's not running after a couple of seconds.

So, if you attempt to start with the car in gear, it will rock a bit against the parking brake and then the remote start will give up trying. I have had remote starters in five of my last six manual transmission cars and I've had my share of times when I accidentally tried to start in gear but I've never had a car move as much as an inch. It just rocks a bit and then gives up.
Can't agree with you... Seen it happen and you know it happens to. People sometimes dont set their brake or dont have a good one.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by habeba86
Can't agree with you... Seen it happen and you know it happens to. People sometimes dont set their brake or dont have a good one.
No, I don't know that it happens. Even without a parking brake the starter motor just isn't strong enough to drive the weight of the car (against the compression of the unstarted engine) for any distance. A couple of feet maybe...just maybe. Sure, I've seen damage done many years ago before remote starters had built-in safety timeouts. People would be parked close to something (garage door, mailbox, or whatever) and the car would move enough to damage it. But these stories about cars running all the way across a shop or parking lot are nothing more than unadulterated BS. I've been doing this since before most members here were born and it just doesn't happen that way.

In any case, with a modern remote starter setup and the use of a properly adjusted parking brake, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Wire it so that it won't work unless the e-brake is on. I trust WB on this one, but extra safety precautions are good to have, I think.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's an excellent idea. The parking brake switch is just a grounding switch so any connection on the remote start that needs a ground could be wired through that switch so that it wouldn't work unless the parking brake was engaged. Certainly easier than trying to determine if the car is in neutral or having some procedure to go through before exiting the car.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dub.ya.es.SICK
Just wondering if anyone has them or any suggestions on brands...I am maybe looking into this and cant find much about brands that offer Manual Transmission remote starts.

THANKS!
here is one I`ll be getting soon for my manual SS
http://cgi.ebay.com/SCYTEK-5000RS-2W...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 05-13-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

agreed with a good parking break the car isnt gonna move just rock, been there done that
Old 05-13-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

+1 on the parking brake! i forgot to mention that I've got my neutral safety switch wired through to my e-brake. No start unless it's pulled all the way up!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
No, I don't know that it happens. Even without a parking brake the starter motor just isn't strong enough to drive the weight of the car (against the compression of the unstarted engine) for any distance. A couple of feet maybe...just maybe. Sure, I've seen damage done many years ago before remote starters had built-in safety timeouts. People would be parked close to something (garage door, mailbox, or whatever) and the car would move enough to damage it. But these stories about cars running all the way across a shop or parking lot are nothing more than unadulterated BS. I've been doing this since before most members here were born and it just doesn't happen that way.
that all sounds cool in theory... but i have seen with my own two eyes, a honda civic drive halfway down a street and run over a neighbors mailbox before coming to a stop in their front lawn. i dont think you realize how much torque a starter has
Old 05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnHF
that all sounds cool in theory... but i have seen with my own two eyes, a honda civic drive halfway down a street and run over a neighbors mailbox before coming to a stop in their front lawn. i dont think you realize how much torque a starter has
no way if it had a proper parking break.