Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cylinder head reccomendation? experienced builders step in...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cylinder head reccomendation? experienced builders step in...

im helping my friend put together a new combo for his 2000 camaro SS, was wondering what some of you more experienced builders would reccomned for heads. spec's as follows:

new gm LQ9 iron block, callies crank/rods, diamond pistons(-2cc releifs), its a 4.010 bore(404CI), looking to have a CR of around 11.5:1 and run on pumpgas, drives it daily also.

basically this is being built on a budget in his garage with me doing the assembly for free, i was thinking some L92's with some port work on the exhaust side but then he'd have to buy all the supporting stuff like intake, fuel rails, injectors, etc. someone also reccomended some 243 casting heads because he thought the narrower/taller intake port will make more low-end torque (this is coming from the guy i use for porting)

basically our goal is 500hp to the wheels with a hydraulic roller cam through a 4L60E.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:06 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Dart 225cc heads are some of the best bang for the buck heads out there for a build like yours. A simple valve job and you have a really good head. On a 404ci build there's no need for big valve all though you will need a set of springs to match the cam it's going to take to make 500rwhp with a 4l60E.

The TFS 235's are also a good way to go but will cost more.