Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock 6.0L iron short block- add heads/cam, stall--High 10s? Need source for motor!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock 6.0L iron short block- add heads/cam, stall--High 10s? Need source for motor!

Well, long story short, i blew up my 383. I used the car for AX and road racing. I now am going a new direction. I decided to buy another f-body and will gut it completely and run it in a differnt class. If I go off track, no big deal. If I did that with my 19k mile Z that blew the motor.... I would be a little upset.

So, I am going to set up my Z for drag racing. I still have good ported heads, ported ls6 intake and other stuff. My goal is to run high 10's in a full weight car. I am going to convert it to an Auto with a big stall. It already has a 12 bolt. Car will only be a toy and I don't care if it has frendly street manors.

My thought was to find a good running 6.0L iron block out of a truck and put my heads and stuff on it along with a good sized cam, put in the auto change the suspension over for drag racing and call it a day. Should be relatively cheap to find a running 6.0L iron block???? I would replace the rod bolts and bearings just to make sure.

What would be the BEST donor vehicle to searh for to get a motor?
I think any of the iron truck motors will work, right???
What is the best source for getting a running good condition 6.0L for cheap?

My original plan was to build another motor and go with a 402 Ls2, but if what I am thinking will work, I would rather only spend a grand and put my stuff on a stock bottom end and call it a day. Car will only get minimal use anyway. I can get a built tranny and converter with the money I would save by not buying the stroker.

Anybody got any ideas? I have seen quite a few heads cam auto cars in the high 10's. This going to work or am I smoking crack....

Thanks