Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Time for a rebuild??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Time for a rebuild??

Well, after finally putting exhaust back on my car (01 ws6) with 450 whp 440tq , i can finally hear the tranny whining. At first i thought it was low on fluid but nope, filled her up and it still does it. It grinds sometimes when i take off from a stop. I first noticed at the track when i was cutting some 1.6 60's. but now it grinds about 50% of the time when pullin away from stoplights around town. Also when i was at the track i noticed from about 6k rpms to 7k it started grinding really bad to. Car has a spec stage 5 clutch and otherwise stock tranny with 115k miles. Any idea what the culprit of my problems may be?
Old 05-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If its whining in every gear but 4th, its the cluster gear and input shaft. The grinding is probably the syncros and possibly the clutch not releasing as it should.
Old 05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I suspect the grinding you are talking about is actually a rattle and due to the clutch you have. I say this because unless the gears are broken they would not grind at take off. That is, at take off you are engaging the clutch and the chatter it produces excites the gears which is a rattle not a grind.